Remove gold from rear bowtie? Is there a how to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No -- Speed nuts on the back of the front one, and so you're left with holes up front. Need to fill the space on the front one.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exactly. You're better off to buy a chrome cover.

10whthoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so now im getting a little confused. I have been planning on taking off the rear bowtie and replacing it with an aftermarket chrome bowtie. But now are you telling me that if I heat up the gold of the rear bowtie while it is on the truck the gold will actually come off leaving the bowtie lookin chrome?

1dopeHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so now im getting a little confused. I have been planning on taking off the rear bowtie and replacing it with an aftermarket chrome bowtie. But now are you telling me that if I heat up the gold of the rear bowtie while it is on the truck the gold will actually come off leaving the bowtie lookin chrome?

The rear emblem is in 2 pieces, a clear plastic piece on top with a gold sticker under it which is used to adhere the 2 pieces together and a chrome bottom piece. If you can manage to pull up the plastic top cover without scratching the hell out of the bottom piece you will be left with the chrome bowtie underneath. I couldn't get my top piece to loosen up and ended up scratching and marring the hell out of the chrome bottom, so I bought replacement emblems. I got my chrome front/rear replacement emblems off ebay for about $100 shipped and they look way better than the stock ones.

OP
OP
Bam

Bam

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes..exactly. The pics zach2011 & I both posted are from heating up the bowtie and prying the gold part off. What you see in those pics is what is under the gold piece from the factory.

Like 1dopeHoe just said...it could be scratched to hell when you are done. I had to do some detail work (read earlier posts) to clean mine up after I pulled the gold off.

Can't hurt to try it before you spend the cash on replacement emblems. I'm happy with mine & as far as I can tell Zach is happy with his also.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another option if you trashed the rear chrome when removing the gold portion is to just buy a new rear oem emblem. I purchased an aftermarket one but didn't like the style, so I am going to purchase a new oem one and take my time removing the gold before installing it. It will be easier to remove the gold on a brand new eblem and with it off the truck. I can order one online for around $35, which is cheaper than an aftermarket one.

10whthoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I took the plunge and took a heat gun to the rear emblem. It took sometime and patience but it did come off. No scratches due to the fact that I used a plastic putty knife to get under the emblem as well as fishing line. There is one mark because I was moving a little to fast and the eblem actually snapped in two pieces causing a small dig in the chrome part of the emblem. But overall I am very happy. Now I just gotta find the front emblem that kind of matches the rear. I've seen it on these boards somewhere I just gotta find it again!

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone has their rear emblem laying around, I'll buy it from you. I need the full thing, not just the gold insert piece. I might as well try this before ordering a new one.

10whthoe:

I have the bordered polished one on the front of mine and purchased it from the user in the link below. It looks like they only have the borderless one right now, but for the price, i am more than pleased with mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-1...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They are made by:
http://www.allsalesmfg.com/exterior/grille_emblems.html

Last edited:

sgtsandbagger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pulled my front one apart and sanded out the gold and then sprayed the back with gloss black. Used RTV to glue it back together. looks factory now. Don't have to worry about the paint chipping since it's not exposed.

Attachments

• FrontEmblem.jpg
    FrontEmblem.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 34