Remove gold from rear bowtie? Is there a how to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading on another forum a while back (I honestly can't remember which forum) that there is a way to remove the gold plastic from the rear bowtie and it has a chrome billet look underneath like the front bowtie (well..at least my front bowtie).

I have searched around and can't find how to do it anywhere. Has anyone done this? Does it look good?...anyone have pics? and does anyone have a quick how to?

This is the only gold piece on my truck & I think it would look nicer if the rear bowtie matched the front. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Punisher66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading on another forum a while back (I honestly can't remember which forum) that there is a way to remove the gold plastic from the rear bowtie and it has a chrome billet look underneath like the front bowtie (well..at least my front bowtie).

I have searched around and can't find how to do it anywhere. Has anyone done this? Does it look good?...anyone have pics? and does anyone have a quick how to?

This is the only gold piece on my truck & I think it would look nicer if the rear bowtie matched the front. Thanks in advance for any tips.

My advice..buy a chrome one and replace it. The hassle that you will go through to try and get the gold off isn't worth it. You can get them cheaper than this as well, just an example.

http://www.autoanything.com/billet-grilles/73A4462A0A0A2385047.aspx

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
you can take a hair dryer or heat gun, heat it up and the come off like butter.

RSymons

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I removed the bowtie from the grill and took it apart, I used oven cleaner to remove the gold, has to sit for a little bit, then just wipe it off.

Attachments

• 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 69

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
It took me 5 minutes and no $$ to do mine. Just heat it up and it'll come off.

OP
OP
Bam

Bam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all are talking about the rear bowtie on the liftgate right? I just want to make sure we are on the same page before I take a heatgun to it.

OP
OP
Bam

Bam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool...Thanks....guess I will have to buy/borrow a heat gun. The Wife's hair dryer isn't getting hot enough to break the adhesive before it's breaker pops.

@ zach2011 - That is exactly the look I am going for. Is that just the gold removed, or did you put another bowtie insert in after you removed it? I'm assuming since you said it cost no $$ that this is what it will look like when I get the gold removed.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's underneath the gold! It looks perfect without buying anything for it.

OP
OP
Bam

Bam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh...So much better! Now I just need to do something about the new NY state "retro" license plates.:biggun:

Thank you to everyone who posted here for the help. I really appreciate it.

Note to anyone else that decides to do this: Mine wasn't as clean as Zach's underneath. Mine is an '07 that has been baking in the Texas sun for a few years. The adhesive seemed to etched/scratched into the chrome a little bit over the years & there is a bit of a discolored "seam" vertically down the middle of the emblem. I did some slight wet sanding & hit it with some scratch remover to touch it up a little bit, gave it more of a "brushed" look...but if you get right up on it, you can see the defects. I still think it looks 100% better than before when it had one piece of gold trim on an otherwise chrome trimmed truck, but just wanted others to know, it might not look the same as Zach's.

Or maybe it's just me...I seem to be a bit OCD when it comes to this truck.. :)

Here is a before & after pic:

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 168
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members