Remove Front License Plate Bracket - 2023 Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Hello,

It's been a few years. My '17 Yukon XL Denali was parked on a public street in October, and a drunk driver in a Ford Focus managed to hit it hard enough to total it.

So - it's been replaced with a '23 Yukon XL Denali Ultimate.

My first move with a new car is always to remove the front license plate bracket. (Technically required in California, but the cops only ticket teenagers for that stuff.)

I see that this bracket is held on by rivets. An internet search says "just drill them out," but then I'll be left with holes in the painted surface.

Has anyone removed theirs, and can share their experience. Or - better yet - pictures?

Thanks in advance!

CDONNS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All of my previous vehicles that had plate brackets installed I replaced with color matching bumper plugs for the holes. Unless you plan to spend a lot and have body work done to fill the holes, that is your best bet. The holes are already there if they are riveted in.

KSweet

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 23 YXL ultimate also. White frost tricoat. My dealer didn't listen to my request and as soon as it hit the lot they drilled that puppy on there -- I almost cried (lol) because AK only issues one plate and I wanted my front to stay clean. Let me show you what I did... it took a little bit of work but I painted caps (plugs?) and it makes me happy not having that big black plastic plate holder on the front!

Mine was installed with big bitey screws, rivets might be harder to remove. I still cleaned up the holes with a new exacto knife before installing the caps. I haven't glued them in, but I would like to on the next ones I make. This first set was to see how it looked and lasted, plus I had one of the four not come out perfectly w/paint.

This is the cap set I bought: https://a.co/d/g7ymfNZ
This is the paint set I bought: https://a.co/d/cRDQMjE

Attachments

• IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    435.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

KSweet

Reaction score
Also congrats on the upgrade!! What color did ya get?! I have 0 regrets about the ultimate... its so worth it and I end up using the massage seats all the time lol. I upgraded from a 17 tahoe premier, so similar to your 17. Technology between those two has really improved!!! The ride is so much better.

OP
OP
ChrisYukon

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Your state doesn't have front plates and they still put it on? Weird! GM must pay the dealers labor to do it or something. Thanks for that info. That is probably more work than I want to take on, but I do really hate that big ugly bracket!

OP
OP
ChrisYukon

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Also congrats on the upgrade!! What color did ya get?! I have 0 regrets about the ultimate... its so worth it and I end up using the massage seats all the time lol. I upgraded from a 17 tahoe premier, so similar to your 17. Technology between those two has really improved!!! The ride is so much better.
Thanks! My '17 was White Frost Tricoat, (which I loved), so I went with the Sterling Metallic. It's a cool "dark silver" that I really like.

I keep saying that I thought my '17 was the best car ever made (smothest riding, etc.) The '23 is 10 times better in every way! My favorite options are the Super Cruise, that I use pretty much every time I'm on the freeway, and the self parking. (which I don't get to use often, but it's super cool.) The massaging seats are a cool plus, and my kids love the "personal" iPads for the captain's chairs. I love the camera rear-view mirror, too: I didn't realize what a drag that headlight reflections were with "old style" mirrors!

KSweet

Reaction score
Thanks! My '17 was White Frost Tricoat, (which I loved), so I went with the Sterling Metallic. It's a cool "dark silver" that I really like.

I keep saying that I thought my '17 was the best car ever made (smothest riding, etc.) The '23 is 10 times better in every way! My favorite options are the Super Cruise, that I use pretty much every time I'm on the freeway, and the self parking. (which I don't get to use often, but it's super cool.) The massaging seats are a cool plus, and my kids love the "personal" iPads for the captain's chairs. I love the camera rear-view mirror, too: I didn't realize what a drag that headlight reflections were with "old style" mirrors!
Oh I love the gray, it was my second choice!! My tahoe was black and I needed an opposite paint choice. A lot of my local roads aren't mapped so I forget by the time I get to the highway to use super cruise. It is nice though. And yes, very similarly, I kept calling the tahoe my dream car. Well guess what, NOW i'm in my dream car. I don't know how I'd ever top this car without re-purchasing another denali ultimate. Lol.

I haven't tried self parking I'm too scared! Camera mirror is fantastic though, only took like 2 days to get used to. I never turn it off.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have a 23 YXL ultimate also. White frost tricoat. My dealer didn't listen to my request and as soon as it hit the lot they drilled that puppy on there -- I almost cried (lol) because AK only issues one plate and I wanted my front to stay clean. Let me show you what I did... it took a little bit of work but I painted caps (plugs?) and it makes me happy not having that big black plastic plate holder on the front!

Mine was installed with big bitey screws, rivets might be harder to remove. I still cleaned up the holes with a new exacto knife before installing the caps. I haven't glued them in, but I would like to on the next ones I make. This first set was to see how it looked and lasted, plus I had one of the four not come out perfectly w/paint.

This is the cap set I bought: https://a.co/d/g7ymfNZ
This is the paint set I bought: https://a.co/d/cRDQMjE
EXCELLENT job! Well done. Wow.

KSweet

Reaction score
EXCELLENT job! Well done. Wow.
Thank you, I was determined! The front should always be plate free and pretty!!!! Just about killed me when I noticed the holes were in the actual painted bumper. I almost price quoted a replacement (I'm crazy lol) but these will do for now :)

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I was determined! The front should always be plate free and pretty!!!! Just about killed me when I noticed the holes were in the actual painted bumper. I almost price quoted a replacement (I'm crazy lol) but these will do for now :)
I hear you! A buddy of mine who lives in PA (where you don't need a front plate) buys a lot of vehicles from a dealership he knows well in NJ (where you do need a front plate). He ordered an Escalade from the NJ place a few years back, and specifically said he didn't want a front plate on it. They called him to say the truck had come in, and when he arrived to pick it up, he saw that they guy was drilling the front for a plate. My friend said, "Nope, not taking it." The dealership panicked and scrambled and swapped in a new entire front fascia from another new Escalade of the same color they had. THEN he took the truck. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts