Remote start anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMW468

Reaction score
So I was out with a buddy the other day and his Yukon has a remote start. I've never really been a remote start kind of guy but I thought what the hell, I'm getting older and it gets cold here in PA, so why not.

I looked on ebay and saw a bunch listed around $50.00 and I'm thinking that they are probably junk. Anyone have any suggestions for a brand or any experience?

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had remote start put in several vehicles over the years. I've had good luck with either Viper or Avital systems. They aren't generally too expensive, but installation will get you. You could expect to pay around $300-400 installed. If you are looking to install yourself, you might do some research before hand. I've probably installed 20-30 car stereos/amps, etc. over my life time. I ordered a security/remote start for my 94 K1500 and after looking at the instructions decided to have it installed professionally.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of remote start, either, and I never installed it on any of my vehicles. But, when I purchased my new-to-me 2007 Yukon XL Denali, which has remote start as a standard feature, I became a fan. I use it all the time.

I even have some fun with it in parking lots, when I see somebody about to walk past the rear of my Yukon, and I trigger the remote start with the Gibson Extreme dual exhaust system. You see some really funny reactions from some folks.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't already have an alarm, I'd recommend a combo- alarm with remote start. I had one installed in my '95 about a year ago. It's very handy and I feel a little safer about the truck, since I park it outside.

joe

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have it on all of my rides. Great feature. You appreciate it all the more in cold or hot climates as you can have the heater or AC even seat heaters set up if your vehicle has those features. I had all of them added to the alarms so it was part of the install.

I am getting one installed / added to the Duramax as part of the small list of mods in work.

iCajun

Reaction score
I used a Viper 5301 in a couple of cars. Now obsolete. At least 1/4 mile range from my office to the parking lot. Was nice to have the snow/ice starting to melt off the windows. I didn't wire up the options, horn, windows, flashing lights and such. A friend had a fairly new GM truck with factory remote that had about a 10 foot range, now has one that works with his cell phone.

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compustar is another good brand I've had in most of my vehicles. They can be programmed to control 2 cars with one remote and the two way I have has at least a half mile range even being inside with another office building between me and my truck. It can be wired for trunk release, window control and add the module to control from your cell phone from anywhere you've got service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu