Relieving fuel pressure for filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you guys do it?

The last time I changed a fuel filter was 10 years ago on my ol 1989 oldsmobile cutlass calias. I just took the fuel cap off and pulled the filter out, making sure I didn't get any of the spilled gasoline on my face.

Now I'm older and don't want a puddle of gas in the driveway for my kids to play in.

I'm thinking I could open the cap and then relieve the pressure via the schrader valve....how much fuel would come out?

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Pull either the fuel pump fuse or relay. You can also prolly do so by opening the fuel cap.

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you push the schrader valve it will relive the pressure but not empty the lines and filter. You could try to pull the pump fuse while the truck is running and let it run out of gas. Best bet would be a drain pan. If it does get on the ground it will evaporate quickly especially if you put a fan on it.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I just pull the pump fuse and crank it over a few times, then drop the filter and only a bit of fuel will come out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88

Latest posts