Reliability 2004 Yukon Denali XL vs. later models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragginwagon406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys,

I’ve owned my Yukon since 2013, bought it with 175K miles. Now has more than 257K, thinking about upgrading due to corrosion here in northern Ohio.

I’ve always serviced the Yukon well, changed transmission fluid and filter twice, water pump and coolant, and front wheel bearings twice. It has new brake lines, engine oil cooler lines. Other than that, it’s been dead reliable.

The body, on the other hand, is starting to collect corrosion in the rockers, quarters, and passenger fender. My first question is, if I want to keep it for 50K more miles, is it worth it to fix the body?

I must admit, I’m paranoid about the 2008+ Yukons reliability, in particular engine. My second question, is the paranoia of later Yukons justified?

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say no and partially. At some point though the “old reliable” low mileage units are no longer available and you have to transition into the newer style. I had a 2007 which never skipped a beat, but also left me paranoid on what if’s. Fast forward and I own a 2017 with a warranty. Many of the “issues” of the 2007 exist in the newer units, but at least the 15+ units are have some improved features to take your mind off impending motor failure ;)

OP
OP
D

dragginwagon406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would say no and partially. At some point though the “old reliable” low mileage units are no longer available and you have to transition into the newer style. I had a 2007 which never skipped a beat, but also left me paranoid on what if’s. Fast forward and I own a 2017 with a warranty. Many of the “issues” of the 2007 exist in the newer units, but at least the 15+ units are have some improved features to take your mind off impending motor failure ;)

I know a good or bad car can ruin your finances. I drive about 11K miles per year, my next anticipated costs are tires, transmission cooler lines, coil packs, and exhaust manifold bolts/gaskets. Factor in the body work and compare that to four years of payments on a newer Denali and the math is fuzzy for me.

Even at 300K, someone will want to buy the Yukon for the 6.0 L :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a good or bad car can ruin your finances. I drive about 11K miles per year, my next anticipated costs are tires, transmission cooler lines, coil packs, and exhaust manifold bolts/gaskets. Factor in the body work and compare that to four years of payments on a newer Denali and the math is fuzzy for me.

Even at 300K, someone will want to buy the Yukon for the 6.0 L :)

One fella on here recently swapped all the good parts from his pride and joy over to another truck that wasn't rusted out. You might be able to pick up another with a wrecked interior or blown engine for a song and do what he did.

Then again, the technology and comfort (subjective) is nice in the newer models. When it comes to car payments or maintenance/repairs, I'm almost always in favor of the latter!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider this: in keeping the current vehicle, you know where it’s at, what it has needed for maintenance, and what you’re going to need to put into it. I’m assuming it’s probably paid off. If you go to the flip side of buying another vehicle, let’s say a newer gen Denali, now you’ve got a car payment, plus any maintenance or repair items it’s going to need. And the reality is, buying a newer gen Denali is still buying a used vehicle and it’s going to need things. Suspension, trans work possibly depending on the mileage, anything is possible. So do the math, look at your maintenance costs for the 2004, and decide if that’s cheaper than a payment on a newer vehicle+ plus whatever the newer one will need to keep it road worthy. Or the other way around. Maybe fixing the rust and the other maintenance you need on the 2004 is more expensive than the payment and maintenance, then go for the newer one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ciscotex