Recovered Vehicle - Need info on lock cylinder replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
77blue

77blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: I did order new driver's door, glovebox, and spare tire lock sets ($ 127.90) for my son's 2020 truck. The kits come "un-coded" with packs of pins and since I had access to a similar vehicle key (my Yukon), I had that key "de-coded" at a local locksmith. Then, using that info, I re-coded the lock cylinders for that key profile. I also bought (2) new remotes ($ 139.90) so as soon as I can get his truck I'll try the re-programming process as laid out in the Owner's Manual. So for $ 267.80 plus some shipping I should be able to get this taken care of. I'll update this after I've completed the programming process since it's relevant here. Far cry from $ 2,400 quoted by a GMC dealer !!!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I did order new driver's door, glovebox, and spare tire lock sets ($ 127.90) for my son's 2020 truck. The kits come "un-coded" with packs of pins and since I had access to a similar vehicle key (my Yukon), I had that key "de-coded" at a local locksmith. Then, using that info, I re-coded the lock cylinders for that key profile. I also bought (2) new remotes ($ 139.90) so as soon as I can get his truck I'll try the re-programming process as laid out in the Owner's Manual. So for $ 267.80 plus some shipping I should be able to get this taken care of. I'll update this after I've completed the programming process since it's relevant here. Far cry from $ 2,400 quoted by a GMC dealer !!!!
not sure on the process with the push to start, but on my Silverado which uses a key you can do it yourself as long as you have 2 existing working keys, it used to only take 1 but they upped the security level, if you are unable to do it a locksmith can do it for probably less than the what the dealer would charge for that same process.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait... You can again program new remotes yourself on the new ones? :eek: Granted, I haven’t looked into that too much, but I thought new remotes needed Tech 2 programming from 2011 onwards. At least in 2011+ GMT900s it is.

OP
OP
77blue

77blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I haven't done it yet but...

The Owner's Manual outlines 2 distinct processes for adding or replacing remotes - one version if you have both working remotes and want to add another (up to 8 total), and the second, if you "don't" have 2 working remotes (which is the process I will be using). I spent a lot of time trying to validate that the 2020's had "on-board" programming for remotes, most websites say your dealer needs to do it but I believe that info is slanted toward dealer revenue. Both processes assume you are in possession of 1 emergency key which is used to kick-off the programming process via the driver's door.

So I will complete the programming with the prior emergency key and then install the new lock cylinders.

OP
OP
77blue

77blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Completed reprogramming the 2 new remotes - used the "old emergency key" to kickoff the process for when you do not have (2) working remotes. Worked as advertised in the owner's manual - programming process also "erased" the old remote. Now I'll replace the driver's door lock cylinder with the new cylinder coded for a different key profile and move on.

Flydex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why didn’t insurance buy the truck? Did you want a stolen truck back? No one drives a stolen car like grandma going to church on Sunday.

I hope the lock and programming isn’t too painful.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but if the truck was stolen and recovered........why isn't the insurance company taking care of this?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is, how did the thief have access to the remote in the first place? @77blue

OP
OP
77blue

77blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
flydex - the truck was recovered 6 hours later, undamaged, less than 5 miles from his house. They tried to hide it in an apartment parking lot, backed in under a tree, so the police assumed they were planning to come back for it. Of course by then it had been disabled via OnStar, so the insurance company was certainly not going to buy it...

1BAD15- as far as the insurance company "taking care of it" the insurance company (one of the majors) would only cover the remote, stolen and not recovered, and it's reprogramming - not replacing the locks. Does that make sense - not to me but it is what it is. With a $ 500 comprehensive deductible that was a non starter since I replaced 2 remotes and all locks for under $ 300.

Dcmaynor - They got the remote when they broke into the house

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
flydex - the truck was recovered 6 hours later, undamaged, less than 5 miles from his house. They tried to hide it in an apartment parking lot, backed in under a tree, so the police assumed they were planning to come back for it. Of course by then it had been disabled via OnStar, so the insurance company was certainly not going to buy it...

1BAD15- as far as the insurance company "taking care of it" the insurance company (one of the majors) would only cover the remote, stolen and not recovered, and it's reprogramming - not replacing the locks. Does that make sense - not to me but it is what it is. With a $ 500 comprehensive deductible that was a non starter since I replaced 2 remotes and all locks for under $ 300.

Dcmaynor - They got the remote when they broke into the house
That all sux. Sounds like you did ok with the route you took. Too bad those scumbags didn't get caught. Hopefully one day someone will steal their car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz