Recovered Vehicle - Need info on lock cylinder replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My son's 2020 Sierra Denali was stolen and recovered (thank you OnStar). It has the same technology as my 18 Yukon Denali e.g. push button start on dash (no key) keyless entry remote w/ engine start & tailgate. The thieves still have a remote w/ emergency key so the key cylinder in the driver's door will need to be replaced. I have been trying to get info on what's involved with replacing the "emergency" key cylinder and programing (2) new remotes. Some info says you can program new remotes via the truck, others say it needs a programing tool.

It's really frustrating that I can't seem to find or get a response from anyone who knows the process and steps required. We have tried a couple of area dealerships and they always circle back to talking about a vehicle that has a "chipped" ignition key so obviously they have never done this. We have also sent detailed emails to a couple of locksmiths which were recommended by the vendor we bought the new remotes from - no response. Does anyone have any experience with getting this done - can't believe the dealerships are so confused !

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son's 2020 Sierra Denali was stolen and recovered (thank you OnStar). It has the same technology as my 18 Yukon Denali e.g. Smart Keyless Entry Remote w/ Engine Start & Tailgate) and I have been trying to get info on what's involved with replacing the "emergency" key cylinder (driver's door) and programing (2) new remotes.

It's really frustrating that I can't seem to find or get a response from anyone who knows the process and steps required. We have tried a couple of area dealerships and they always circle back to talking about a vehicle that has a "chipped" ignition key so obviously they have never done this. We have also sent detailed emails to a couple of locksmiths which were recommended by the vendor we bought the new remotes from - no response. Does anyone have any experience with getting this done - can't believe the dealerships are so confused !
what exactly is the problem? was the door lock damaged? was the ignition damaged? was it hacked? need more details you have left it pretty vague.

OP
OP
77blue

77blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No damage, but the thieves still have a remote (and the emergency key) so even though the remote codes can be zero'd the door lock cylinder needs to be replaced for a new/different key.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
So here’s a lock cylinder for the front door, but doesn’t say if it includes a new key. I’m assuming it doesn’t and you’d have to calibrate it to the old key which isnt helpful to you. With that said, I’m sure you could find one at 1aauto.com, Rock Auto, Summit Racing, CarId, etc that comes with a new key. 2013-2020 GM Lock Cylinder 13590042  GMPartsDirect.com.png

OP
OP
77blue

77blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup, I've found those, the 13590042 says Right, the 13590041 says left (so driver's door). No key but they say "uncoded". It's the coding / cut (laser) of the new key, and reprograming the new remotes that I want to understand.

The truck is only three months old so we're not contemplating doing it ourselves but I wanted to be able to ask the right questions about what's needed to be done so I don't get any ******** from the dealership because so far they haven't been able to describe what they need to do.

2019-gmc-sierra-smart-keyless-entry-remote-w-engine-start-tailgate-50.jpg

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Got to thinking about this more and I know your dealer is the only one who can cut new keys. Essentially, and correct me if I’m mistaken, you could take out the old cylinder and simply switch the little tabs that say #1,#2, etc and have your dealer cut a new key to that.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
So in other words all you would need is a new blank key as you would simply use your old lock cylinder with the coding swapped.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just need the door and keyhole in the center console re-keyed (presuming it is push to start), then have them re-learn the fob remotes, this will make the spare emergency key and any other fob useless
there should be no hardware needed other than the new blank key which the dealer should have in stock.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Here’s when I installed a new lock cylinder in the dash for my 07. I wrote down all the previous metal tabs that I pulled out so that I could install them the same way to reuse the old key. You would just switch them around and the old key won’t work.

05FCFA34-2806-41E1-B329-03F44CF37240.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645