Recommended tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had those on my wife's 2010 Tahoe we just sold in lieu of the Suburban we just got and while they were nice and quiet and all that, I wasn't too impressed with the wear. In 15K miles they were pretty damn worn, even with my frequent air checks, rotating them every 5-7K etc. And they didn't even come with treadlife warranty.

Was thinking about Eagle Tourings for the Sub, but since GY didn't want to give any treadlife warranty on them either, I just ordered a set of Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/Ls from Costco. Have never bought a set of Bridgestones, so we'll see how it goes. Treadlife warranty is 80K, though.

I know treadlife warranty isn't necessarily an indication of anything, but at least I can go back to Costco and complain in case they wear out too soon.
Ya there kind of a bang-for-buck kind of thing I don't get 60k out them but for the price I get real good performance in trade, I like them because they are a "medium" rubber tire, Michelin's for comparison are a very "hard" rubber yes you get more miles but you won't get the same performance of a softer tire. It's just my preference I am not concerned with getting miles out of them I am concerned with them sticking to the road when it matters the most. The type of rubber used makes a difference
I fit into the enthusiast category in regards to tires
Performance all-season tires come in H- and V-speed rating on many newer cars, especially those with enthusiast appeal or upgraded wheels. They tend to have better cornering grip than S- and T-speed rated all-season tires, but performance tires may not wear as long..........

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had those on my wife's 2010 Tahoe we just sold in lieu of the Suburban we just got and while they were nice and quiet and all that, I wasn't too impressed with the wear. In 15K miles they were pretty damn worn, even with my frequent air checks, rotating them every 5-7K etc. And they didn't even come with treadlife warranty.

Was thinking about Eagle Tourings for the Sub, but since GY didn't want to give any treadlife warranty on them either, I just ordered a set of Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/Ls from Costco. Have never bought a set of Bridgestones, so we'll see how it goes. Treadlife warranty is 80K, though.

I know treadlife warranty isn't necessarily an indication of anything, but at least I can go back to Costco and complain in case they wear out too soon.
My 2019 Denali came with the Bridgeston Alenza's and with 18K miles on them I'm down to min tread. I'll be buying Michelin Premier's in the next couple weeks.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2019 Denali came with the Bridgeston Alenza's and with 18K miles on them I'm down to min tread. I'll be buying Michelin Premier's in the next couple weeks.

As you consider purchasing Michelin brand tires, I suggest that you also look at the Defenders, in addition to the Premiers.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the 80K mile tires that are going on tomorrow are done with at 18K, Costco will definitely hear from me. :deal:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the 80K mile tires that are going on tomorrow are done with at 18K, Costco will definitely hear from me. :deal:
When people talk about wear on Bridgestone’s please keep in mind that there are three different tires with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza on them with three different wear ratings. I have averaged over 80K on the Duelers I have run on my rigs.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I just don't get it. I believe every one of you guys with what you are saying you are getting for wear out of your tires, but something doesn't make sense that there would be such a wide disparity in this area. As an engineer, this is driving me nuts as I believe there has to be something we are missing that is causing these differing outcomes. My personal experience is that the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L's give me 85K+ of wear. I also read here where folks are getting similar wear out of their Michelin Defenders. That is why I am just baffled when I also read that folks are only getting 20K to 30K of wear out of what is supposedly the same tire. So I did some looking. Tire Rack has a few different options for tires shown for my 2013 Denali XL with the H/L Alenza name with different Load, Speed, Treadwear, Traction and Treadwear ratings. I wonder if this is contributing to the different experiences of folks because folks all have Alenza's but different performance ratings.

Dueler H/L Alenza Plus - 111H - UTQG: 800 A A - ECO-Product (whatever that means)
Dueler H/L Alenza - 111H - UTQG: 600 A B
Dueler H/L Alenza - 111S - UTQG: 700 B B (what I have been buying and is listed as OEM)
Dueler H/L Alenza - 113T - UTQG: 600 A A

Here is the link to what I ordered the last two times and what was on my 2013 when we bought it in July of 2019.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H/L+Alenza&partnum=755SR0HLALNZ

For Michelin this is what I found for the LTX line of tires shown on Tire Rack for my 2013 Denali XL
LTX A/T 2 - 113T - UTQG: 500 A B
Defender LTX M/S - 113T - UTQG: 800 A A
LTX M/S2 - 113H - UTQG: 720 A A - Green X (whatever that means)

I know that I may push the life a little so instead of 85K, maybe I should say I get 75K+ of good thread life and then another 10K of life because I might push it a little.
My wife also does most of the driving and her commute is mainly highway so that may contribute to out experiences. She is also not an aggressive driver, usually.
I rotate the tires every other oil change (7000-8000 miles) and maintain the tire pressure regularly. Not saying others don't, just explaining what is happening on our vehicle.

Like I said, there has to be something that can explain the different experiences folks are having.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fit into the enthusiast category in regards to tires
Performance all-season tires come in H- and V-speed rating on many newer cars, especially those with enthusiast appeal or upgraded wheels. They tend to have better cornering grip than S- and T-speed rated all-season tires, but performance tires may not wear as long..........

I get it. I’ve had plenty of preformance vehicles that benefited from perfomance tires and you could definitely tell a difference between different tires.

However, I am talking here about my wife and she isn’t in the enthusiast category. She’s one of those who could care less. As long as the truck runs and drives reliably. LOL! I drive her ride so few times a year that I can live with less enthusiastic tire capabilities. Haha!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it. However, at least I am talking about my wife and she isn’t in the enthusiast category. She’s one of those who could care less. As long as the truck runs and drives reliably. I drive her ride somfew times that I can live with less enthusiastic tire capabilities. Haha!
my main thing with the goodyear eagles has mostly been how good they did in the rain, truly impressed no more spin outs, even after they get worn down they won't break grip and still no road noise. A new set of the ls/2's run me about $650, the sports about $750 can't complain

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
My philosophy is that my tires are the single most important safety feature on my vehicle. I've had a lot of vehicles and lots of different tires and the differences are dramatic. My tire store loves me, when I look for new tires, I ask what is the best tire I can buy. Long wearing is 3rd or 4th down the list and price is even further down. When somebody runs a light or pulls out in front of you, traction is the thing you need most. I've had Michelin tires on 3 different vehicles and I have taken them off early because their traction sucks. I currently have a set of Michelin Pilot Sports on my Corvette that work great when it's 90 out but once it hits 70 you better leave traction control on because you will need it. My wifes Cadillac came with Michelins and they were like new and I took them off because they were dangerous. When I switched her to the Continental pure performance she thanked me. We both drive a lot and have seen some pretty dumb stunts on the road. That's why I buy the best brakes money can buy and tires to go with them. I can't count how many times that philosophy has saved us. My only concern is can the guy behind me stop. I had a deer jump out right in front of me once and I was able to stop in time to avoid it, mind you I ruined a brand new set of Goodyear high performance tires to do it. My question to you is, how much do you love your wife?

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My philosophy is that my tires are the single most important safety feature on my vehicle. I've had a lot of vehicles and lots of different tires and the differences are dramatic. My tire store loves me, when I look for new tires, I ask what is the best tire I can buy. Long wearing is 3rd or 4th down the list and price is even further down. When somebody runs a light or pulls out in front of you, traction is the thing you need most. I've had Michelin tires on 3 different vehicles and I have taken them off early because their traction sucks. I currently have a set of Michelin Pilot Sports on my Corvette that work great when it's 90 out but once it hits 70 you better leave traction control on because you will need it. My wifes Cadillac came with Michelins and they were like new and I took them off because they were dangerous. When I switched her to the Continental pure performance she thanked me. We both drive a lot and have seen some pretty dumb stunts on the road. That's why I buy the best brakes money can buy and tires to go with them. I can't count how many times that philosophy has saved us. My only concern is can the guy behind me stop. I had a deer jump out right in front of me once and I was able to stop in time to avoid it, mind you I ruined a brand new set of Goodyear high performance tires to do it. My question to you is, how much do you love your wife?

You must be in sales, what a pitch..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC