Rebuild or Swap

REBUILD or SWAP

• Rebuild OEM, Vortec & 4L60E

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • SWAP, LS Motor & Trans

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Foolish was probably a poor choice of words, but I do agree if someone has the time, money to spend, and the know how, and you are choosing bw rebuilding a 5.7 TBI or an LS Swap, hands down the LS swap is the way to go. It is just a better platform all around, stronger, more efficient, makes more power, and the list goes on....

In the case of the OP, when considering he wont be doing any of the work himself I think that answers his question right there.

OP unless you have a shop in mind that you trust and they have already given you a quote on the work to be performed that you can work with (which it doesnt sound like you do), then the obvious answer is to stick with the simplest route and get a rebuilt 350 (or even a 383 if you some extra power).
i agree and pretty much what i said, you explained it better than me. ;)

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
foolish? that’s harsh... why bother with wiring, tuning, etc when a 350 will drop right in. if its a project truck sure ls it all the way... who cares about ls swapping mustangs..... he’s asking about his family hauler .... sometimes reality is just that..reality
i agree and pretty much what i said, you explained it better than me. ;)
Yeah paying for a ls swap is totally out of the question. That could run you 10 to 20k easy

OP
OP
TARDIS

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm getting in response

LS, 454, Crate 350/383, OEM Restoration.

LS - has gobs of power
but needs a full drivetrain, computer, & wiring system
454 - is a torque monster and was an OEM Option
It is a lot of weight for family off roading, and I'd need an external tank for the runs we do.
Crate - Build what I want
Poor past maintenance, service, & electrical experience with swapped drivetrains.
OEM Refresh - Number match, Can be serviced anywhere, parts readily available, Plug N Play
Least Powerful option, Immediate cost would be similar to others

rchurch5945

Reaction score
IMHO - factory replacement crate engine 5.7 vortec, small cam for a little more power (the GM HT383E cam is great for torque, or if you want more power the LT4 Hot cam), and upgrade MPFI for reliability. Don't forget with a crate engine you get a warranty - can be invaluable! It's also plug-n-play and a simple project that doesn't costs an arm and a leg.

LS swap - expensive and may have lots of problems to work out to get it right.
454 swap - torque monster, but do you need it? Also, plan on spending the majority of your vacation money on gas.

As far as the trans - opt for the upgrades on the 4L60 for reliability. There are plenty of problems you can eliminate that the factory parts have.

Again, just my opinion.

OP
OP
TARDIS

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their input.

EVERYONE gave clear and useful opinions, and that's why I love this Forum!

Since this is a Long Distance RoadTrip/OHV Family Vehicle, I decided that RELIABILITY and ease of maintenance at any shop anywhere was the most important factors.

Power and Price were at the bottom of the list for this build (I already have a 383 in the other k1500).

The swaying thought is that this is a Low Mileage & Original truck that should be Restored & Used.

In the process now of a top end rebuild for the original 350. I will do a Stage I or II rebuild on the original 4L60e. This will include a beefier torque converter in the process.

Any comments or advice on this choice and process are welcome and appreciated.

All of you guys helped me get to this decision. So THANK YOU!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645