Rebuild or Swap

REBUILD or SWAP

• Rebuild OEM, Vortec & 4L60E

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • SWAP, LS Motor & Trans

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Think you made a good decision. Very good looking rig. I had my 350 rebuilt into a 383 still have a few headaches to overcome.

OP
OP
TARDIS

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did the right thing, keep it stock and simple and if in the future the horsepower bug bites, you know a 383 won't look any different under the hood and is an easy upgrade. Nice looking truck.

Thanks very much.

Once I started, I felt like the OEM+ felt right.

Once it was on the road, I was rewarded with easy use and a great ride.

I'm very happy.
Thanks to everyone for the great input.

OP
OP
TARDIS

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Think you made a good decision. Very good looking rig. I had my 350 rebuilt into a 383 still have a few headaches to overcome.
The 383 in my '96 Silverado, is fine. But I don't have to rely on it for daily use or long hauls.

The OEM route made me feel more comfortable pulling into any garage 2000 miles from home.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm getting in response

LS, 454, Crate 350/383, OEM Restoration.

LS - has gobs of power
but needs a full drivetrain, computer, & wiring system
454 - is a torque monster and was an OEM Option
It is a lot of weight for family off roading, and I'd need an external tank for the runs we do.
Crate - Build what I want
Poor past maintenance, service, & electrical experience with swapped drivetrains.
OEM Refresh - Number match, Can be serviced anywhere, parts readily available, Plug N Play
Least Powerful option, Immediate cost would be similar to others

IMHO - factory replacement crate engine 5.7 vortec, small cam for a little more power (the GM HT383E cam is great for torque, or if you want more power the LT4 Hot cam), and upgrade MPFI for reliability. Don't forget with a crate engine you get a warranty - can be invaluable! It's also plug-n-play and a simple project that doesn't costs an arm and a leg.

LS swap - expensive and may have lots of problems to work out to get it right.
454 swap - torque monster, but do you need it? Also, plan on spending the majority of your vacation money on gas.

As far as the trans - opt for the upgrades on the 4L60 for reliability. There are plenty of problems you can eliminate that the factory parts have.

Again, just my opinion.

Actually, with the 0411PCM and tuning, the 454 is getting better fuel mileage than my 350 did.

Glad you got it back on the road! It’s going to be a great vehicle to enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287