Rear wheel play in and out - source of clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Been chasing a clunk/knock that happens when turning from rear. Jacked truck up to go look for loose suspension/bushing/etc and have the wheel a tug in and out. Seems like there shouldn’t be play like I found. Could this be the source of my clunk? is this normal?

what is the cause and solution? Thanks TYF!
Rear wheel:

Last edited:

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the front wheel or rear wheel. If it's the front then there is definitely a problem there. If it's the rear then there probably is still something wrong but it's hard to tell exactly how much play is there sounds like a lot though. Have a friend rock it while you take a look. Make sure its supported good. I would imagine it's either ball joints or a hub bearing

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be looking at c clips in the diff. Take the cover off and check it out. There should be a little bit of play but that sounds like a lot.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Dealer inspected the whole truck suspension everything etc. no “safety issues”, all ball joints etc are tight. Mechanic went for a ride with me and definitely heard the knock. He thinks it’s just a sway bar bushing worn. I’ve inspected those, dont LOOK bad. But I’ll replace them and see what happens.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Dealer inspected the whole truck suspension everything etc. no “safety issues”, all ball joints etc are tight. Mechanic went for a ride with me and definitely heard the knock. He thinks it’s just a sway bar bushing worn. I’ve inspected those, dont LOOK bad. But I’ll replace them and see what happens.
Personally I'd dig into it more rather than guessing. There are very few suspension related clunks you can't replicate or at least examine with the vehicle stopped