Rear Wheel Lockup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greedyshark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own a ‘99 Tahoe. 2-wheel drive/Police package. 317K miles. As of late, when driving, the rear wheels will, all of a sudden, lock up bringing the truck to a screeching stop. It occurs at various speeds, during both acceleration and deceleration. No brakes are being applied when it happens. Two mechanics have looked at it checking the brake system, transmission, and rear differential. Neither can identify a problem. Thoughts?

OP
OP
G

greedyshark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any warning light or codes when this happens? This is very strange.
Nothing. It just happens. On one occasion I was approaching an intersection. Speed approximately 20mpg. Locked up. Another occasion accelerating from standing. Speed between 5 and 10mpg. Locked up. Latest instance was locking at 45mph. Thankfully no one was behind me at the time. Truck is now garaged until I can find a solution.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a ‘99 Tahoe. 2-wheel drive / Police package. 317K miles.
As of late, when driving, the rear wheels will, all of a sudden, lock up bringing the truck to a screeching stop.
It occurs at various speeds, during both acceleration and deceleration. No brakes are being applied when it happens.
Two mechanics have looked at it checking the brake system, transmission, and rear differential.
Neither can identify a problem. Thoughts?
After it locks up, does it unlock? How did you get it back home?

Securely get your Tahoe (Z56?) off the ground with rear wheels & tires off as well. Take every safety precaution.

Safely secured, up in the air, 'drive' until the problem replicates itself.
Should be easier to inspect the rear axle immediately after the fault to find out if there's anything wrong with it.

Can't think of any 4L60E weirdness that would explain this behavior. My bet is something wrong with the rear axle.
At 317,000miles, you could simply try installing a different / younger one ...

(Was GM's original tire spec for your Tahoe PPV 235/70VR15? If not, what was it? Just curious to check ...)

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how any type of mechanics could look at this vehicle and not find the problem, that is a major malfunction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts