Rear wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timc9516

Reaction score
Well it seems i need to do a wheel bearing and seal on the right rear. Yesterday I did rear pads, rotors, calipers, P/B shoes and hardware, and both dust shields cause there was nothing left to them. (The previous owner had a shop brake off all the P/B parts to make the job cheaper). I thought I was being sneaky by going with the 2 piece dust shields to avoid pulling the axles. But karma got me again. I've got play in the axle and the seal is slightly leaking.

I plan on covering my ass this time and doing both bearings and seals left and right and replacing the diff cover and fluid.

So my question for you guys is.

My coworker said I'll probably need an axle if there is play. He also said he's had luck with the axle saver product I priced out parts on rock auto. And found a new axle for $100 from dana
Also I should add it's 390 to do both sides (seals,bearings,axles)
It's 220 to do the axle repair bearing on both sides
Do you guys think I should bother with the axle saver or just go with the new axle

If I do go with the new axle. Should I do both or just the one. I didn't notice any play on the left and it wasn't leaking. I just wanna do tge bearing and seal to cover my ass

Also. Anything I should be worried about with this job. ?

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, buy the new axle. Yes, cheaping out saves $170. But what's the cost of a failed axle? And what if it takes the differential with it? On the other, remember I'm not spending my money, so you need to determine the risk/reward value for yourself.

OP
OP
T

Timc9516

Reaction score
Very true. So should I replace the axle on both sides or just replace the bearing and seal on the left. Like I said I didn't see any leaks on the left it was only the right

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience has been don't fix what isn't broken. I'd just pay attention for trouble in the future. On my daughter's Sierra Denali, we only replaced the passenger's side, front axle. She's had over 10k, problem free miles from the drive train. However, if it is going to nag at you, when you replace the one axle, check the other one, then put it back together if it is good.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd buy the new axle for the bad side if needed, and for sure pull the other side and check it. I'd probably replace the bearing and seal on that side too as a PM deal. But our machine is a long distance runner for us.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me personally if the diff is getting opened up and an axle pulled then both axles are getting replaced and all bearings and seals are getting replaced. This is because I dont intend on selling my vehicle in the next few years. If you dont plan on keeping yours long then fix only what is wrong.

Im a firm believer in hurt once and done for a very long time. I dont like doing stuff twice.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle surface is the inner race. In my case you could see part of the race was worn. The shop showed me. He said over time it will wear all across the surface. One of my seals is slowly leaking also. This was about 40k miles ago. I'm planning a two axle replacement along with the bearings of course. The tone rings might need replacing. So far I'm holding off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan