Rear Seat Fold Down Problem...HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may have to unbolt it and pull it out, and hose down the latching parts with some wd-40 or something, maybe it's frozen up at the latch. just be less mess out of the truck. think there's 7 bolts to take out -- one on each side in the front, one on the hump at the front, 2 in the middle at the back, and one at each end in the back. may be your only option to see what's going on. branndon

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well at least we're not messing with any complicated electronics here - it's just a seat :) that's a plus

ewheelin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wondering how you made out with this. I just tried to flip up my rear seat (also a 4dr) and the strap pulled right out. It broke the cable, and with out to much effort. Not sure what will have to be replaced, but I hope they sell the cable and the pull with out having to replace the whole mechanism.:emotions122:
Shel

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried the other day to release mine using a pair of steel locking surgical needle holders from work. was grabbing the last bits of steel threads, but wasn't enough grip.
then my co-worker tried working it from underneith,and i didn't know that cloth under the seat was just velcrod on there, ya.... i'm gonna be cleaning that shit from the stuff that fell thru the seat from the previous owner.
first thing i said was "i've never had a lolipop in this truck...... ewww"

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My release broke along time ago. I was able to get the seat to release and I immediately went and got my cut off wheel and cut the locking bar on the bracket. I can pull the seats up when ever I want now without any hassle.

toy_spd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just had the same problem, i took the side hing off and it was locked in place it would not budge, once i took it off i popped the spring off and rotated the locking plate. then i just ground down the tip of it, then finished it smooth with a wire wheel, put it back on and left the wire out, since it was already cut, i could not put it back to stock, so i left it out.
now i just pull on the wire and it folds down.

Ron Oh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am currently looking to install a seb box underneath the rear seats of my 1999 4DR Hoe, and as I was lifting the seats up to take a look underneath, the driver's side rear seat (the bigger one) would not release. I could pull the latch, but it would not release and I could not pull the bottom portion of the seat up and forward.
I am guessing that the cable is broken...?
Anyone have any ideas on the easiest way to fix it?
Should I do it myself or just take it in to a dealer/shop to deal with it?

Thanks for the input,

Cheers

I've had the same problem and resolved it today. The 60% seat bottom on the passenger side has a fabric pull that rotates a shaft which has 2 locking pawls on it at each side of the seat. The pawls lock on to a loose shaft (anchored to the floor) that is centered with a mechanical guide which is right beside the pawl. You can release the seat by getting your hand up there and helping the mechanics rotate while tugging on the fabric pull. To get there. Remove the plastic side cover under the bottom seat edge. Reach under the seat at the driver side back door, at the back edge of the seat bottom, the edge nearest the back window. Feel for the mechanical pawl and help it rotate while pulling the fabric pull. I'll load pictures in a sec. IMG_9285.JPG IMG_9282.JPG IMG_9283.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts