Seat not folding down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtl_templar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my 2016 Suburban LTZ, I am having issues with folding down the 2nd (mid) row 1 seat (the 2 seat portion of the bench folds just fine). The back is stuck upright. Pulling the latch lever on the side of the seat or the loop from the backseat does not work to fold the back down. It sounds like it's releasing internally (clicking) but the back remains upright and can't be forced down. These are the kinds of seats that are motorized and controlled by switches by the rear liftgate, using those switches makes no difference either, just a clicking noise and nothing. Tried to see if I could remove the seat to get a better look, but it appears that a leg bracket for the 2 seat portion is overlapping on TOP of the 1 seat portion so I'd have to effectively remove the entire bench to get that one seat out.

Any other brilliant ideas on things I can check before having to go to those lengths? Thanks!

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Believe you're talking about the third row? If so I'm in the middle of fixing this issue. Yes I was able to remove just the 40 of the 60/40 seat, you can remove it. You need to remove the 2 bolts in the front that secure the 40 to the 60 part of the seat......

Your going to have to remove the seat and the seat cover to access the actuator that releases the locks(uses 2 cables). There is another motor that actually moves the seat after the actuator releases the locks. Sounds like your seat motor is actually broken if you hear it release. If it's just the motor to move the seats than you woudn't have to remove the seat cover....

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtl_templar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks!

Nah, it's the 2nd row, but likely the same applies. My 2nd row is a bench not captain's chairs. Honestly I don't know if I care about the motor since we almost never tip it forward, it's just getting the lever to work again as we use the 3rd row seats every time we drive almost (7 person family)... From what I could tell the legs of the 60 part were over the top of the base of the 40, so I thought I might have to remove the entire bench. But there's no way in otherwise, have to remove it to get to the cables and such?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Nah, it's the 2nd row, but likely the same applies. My 2nd row is a bench not captain's chairs. Honestly I don't know if I care about the motor since we almost never tip it forward, it's just getting the lever to work again as we use the 3rd row seats every time we drive almost (7 person family)... From what I could tell the legs of the 60 part were over the top of the base of the 40, so I thought I might have to remove the entire bench. But there's no way in otherwise, have to remove it to get to the cables and such?
get in there and jump around on it like a gorilla, then try again. often that's what works, they get gummed up or bind up and a little heavy handling can do the trick to get it to unbind. if you get it to release then spray some wd40 all over the mechanism before you push it back down again.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Oh ok I have captains chairs in the 2nd row that's why I assumed 3rd row.

If you're motor failed, you won't be able to move the seat with the motor gear attached. You need to take the motor gear out of the bracket. The motor will NOT move without electricity. I tried moving my seat with the motor attached(and release levers pulled) it wouldn't move. So you can just disconnect the motor and it should be good to move manually.....

I wouldn't suggest the gorilla moves suggested above because you will either break the seat release levers OR the metal bracket attached to the motor. Best just to take it apart. You can take one bolt out and pry the seat motor gear off the bracket, it's not hard.

OP
OP
M

mtl_templar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally got the seat removed over the weekend, now on to the next dilemma... how does one disassemble the seat and plastic covers without breaking anything so I can remove the motor from the bracket / check the cable latch inside to make sure I can still operate it manually once reinstalled? I can't find a disassembly procedure anywhere and when I start to pull the plastic covers off it feels like I'm going to break them or a weak plastic clip or something with the amount of force I'm having to exert. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts