rear heater temperature values

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deathfry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
good day

I am trying to find exact numbers what temperature from the rear heater should be considered as normal. For ex. I have -30C outside and it blows from the ceiling (middle vent strength position) about 32C. Is it ok? Or it should be higher?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could get your hands on a Field Service Manual, you'd have the answer to your question.

32C is 89.6F, which is about as hot as most automotive HVAC systems claim to be able to get.
Are you trying for even warmer air? Or to make it heat up more quickly?
You might want to start by checking the rest of the cooling system, make sure everything works to spec.

I'm hoping to figure out how to warm up my Tahoe more quickly, but once up to temp, it's almost hot enough to reheat food in there.

OP
OP
D

deathfry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, in my front heater there is 70C (yes, celsium) when I turn into the face and with the blower in the middle position. I thought that the rear heater should be as effective as the front.

And I think my front heater is not so effective when it takes legs: it blows to the legs (so the actuator is working) but not so effective. I think it should be more warmer like when it is blowing in the face.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVENTUALLY, the rear heater may be as effective as the front, but it has to pass over a far greater distance, through much more colder materials, so I think that would take more time to hit 158F.

What thermostat does your engine use? I wonder if there is a warmer one available?
There are probably other things you can do, but in NYC under -20C is record breaking cold.

OP
OP
D

deathfry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
EVENTUALLY, the rear heater may be as effective as the front, but it has to pass over a far greater distance, through much more colder materials, so I think that would take more time to hit 158F.

What thermostat does your engine use? I wonder if there is a warmer one available?
There are probably other things you can do, but in NYC under -20C is record breaking cold.
Am I getting it right: it is ok to be 32C in the rear on the idle? If yes then I should stop wondering and start finding out why there is very little air flows out from legs mode
BTW how much do you have in the rear? and could you please provide link to the "field service manual" with the temp page?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s my humble opinion out of all vehicles I have owned in my lifetime the floor heat flow sucks on these GMT900’s unless you crank it up to 4-5 speed then you got to deal with the fan noise.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I getting it right: it is ok to be 32C in the rear on the idle? If yes then I should stop wondering and start finding out why there is very little air flows out from legs mode
BTW how much do you have in the rear? and could you please provide link to the "field service manual" with the temp page?
rear always takes longer to heat up will never match the front, the lines have to travel to the rear of the vehicle (exposed to outside cold air) then the air has to blow forward nearly half the vehicle. if you choose the roof vent it then is also exposed to colder outside temps of the roof. all in all probably 20x the distance of the front air
the front is right near the engine and travels only a short distance.

if you need more heat in the rear wire up some 12v electric heaters for the back. I would if was that freaking cold....
-22Deg F would make me insulate my vehicle as necessary, if it was like that often or for a extended period.
probably with something like wool

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

deathfry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
rear always takes longer to heat up will never match the front, the lines have to travel to the rear of the vehicle (exposed to outside cold air) then the air has to blow forward nearly half the vehicle. if you choose the roof vent it then is also exposed to colder outside temps of the roof. all in all probably 20x the distance of the front air
the front is right near the engine and travels only a short distance.

if you need more heat in the rear wire up some 12v electric heaters for the back. I would if was that freaking cold....
-22Deg F would make me insulate my vehicle as necessary, if it was like that often or for a extended period.
probably with something like wool
no need for that, it is rare to have such temperature and front heater compensates weak rear heater

I just wanted to find out certain values of degrees that are considered as normal
Or at least delta between front and rear that is considered to be normal (for ex. if it exceed 20 degrees between front and rear it is not good)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no need for that, it is rare to have such temperature and front heater compensates weak rear heater

I just wanted to find out certain values of degrees that are considered as normal
Or at least delta between front and rear that is considered to be normal (for ex. if it exceed 20 degrees between front and rear it is not good)
I am sure there is a spec listed that the dealer would have used to determine if it is correct or not. It's going to be in the dealer service manual-somewhere under troubleshooting
the only thing that you could do to insure it is correct otherwise is
1. visually inspect the hot/cold actuator/door (rear closest to blower motor)
2. replace rear heater core (if it is perhaps clogged up)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019