Rear hatch interior pull handle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatbishsmokedme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heya so I'm wondering if my Tahoe (2002 4 door 4x4 5.3) (or brain) are a little off. Can't seem to find an interior latch for the hatch. Am i stupid? Or is there truly not one there, and if there isnt one, anyone know of a way to install/rig one up? After a whopping 5 minutes of digging i couldn't find anything. Thanks a bunch in advance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heya so I'm wondering if my Tahoe (2002 4 door 4x4 5.3) (or brain) are a little off. Can't seem to find an interior latch for the hatch. Am i stupid? Or is there truly not one there, and if there isnt one, anyone know of a way to install/rig one up? After a whopping 5 minutes of digging i couldn't find anything. Thanks a bunch in advance.
There isn't one since according to the government, nobody is supposed to be back there.

There is a dimple in the plastic cover which denotes where the actuator is for manual control with a flat bladed screwdriver. On my 2009, it is called the Inoperative Liftgate Modification by GM.

1662181676745.jpeg

The part number for the ebony plug is 20986933. Again, this is for the generation after yours. When the guys wake up later and have their coffee, more will chime in.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with your outside button? Seems if you are going to need to get into the hatch to do a interior release mod then you might as well fix the button mechanism if its broken instead???? Most of the failures on these type of release is the plastic connection on the actuator rods. The plastic breaks or the plastic bushings on them split and fall out of the plastic connector.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't one since according to the government, nobody is supposed to be back there.

There is a dimple in the plastic cover which denotes where the actuator is for manual control with a flat bladed screwdriver. On my 2009, it is called the Inoperative Liftgate Modification by GM.

View attachment 379837

The part number for the ebony plug is 20986933. Again, this is for the generation after yours. When the guys wake up later and have their coffee, more will chime in.
Because of the weapon locker in thecopcar, I’ve done a preemptive drill of this hole to reach the lever. There’s just enough space to reach it by hand between the locker and closed liftgate.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Special order "BC1 - Border Crossing" package includes:
- Inside hatch release for quicker self-unloading of cargo.
- Lockable, air-tight hidden compartments for contraband.
- Container of Milk-bone treats to toss out the back to distract chasing dogs.

Just kidding on that...

These features are not available from the factory. Some restrictions may apply. Your options and results may vary. See local "dealer" for details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011