Rear glass won’t open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeyHustle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 98 Tahoe rear glass won’t open. I can hear the solenoid move, but the glass won’t budge. And the tailgate won’t open if the glass is shut.

I find it hard to believe Chevy would design the rear tailgate, without a mechanical emergency switch somewhere.

My only option is to cut things apart. Got a better idea?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d try to take the tailgate panel off. The top four screws would be the hardest to get to, but once it’s removed then maybe you can trip the latch.

Maybe use on of those angled screwdrivers.

a1a13d4c7b5bbb5df7a8582cf36f062a.jpg

8db67ce62b834701a02042c7c913d956.jpg

1ddda7a8943f18aec96b44d7ed49c0a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you haven't try getting it to open with 2 people. have one person push in on the window while another pushes the button unless you have a fob. my wife did it to my 97 she shut the rear window too hard and bent the hoop.

Lancem

Reaction score
Been a while since I had this same problem. You have to get the interior panel off. If I remember right it will probably require breaking some tabs. There is a plastic piece that the actuator presses to release the glass that is probably broken or has become disengaged. And you're right, bad design.

OP
OP
M

MikeyHustle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the help I was hoping Chevy had secret mechanical switch somewhere. But it seems that’s not the case. I tried a similar tool that East recommended. But the screws were too long and wouldn’t come out completely because they hit the window. Not enough room.

I’m gonna dremel the plastic and just buy a new panel. Thanks again for the help.

Clutch Powers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any tips to share on this; or was there a successful outcome? I'm having the same problem with my Blazer. Everything was fine; then one day last week I couldn't get the glass open. I stood on the bumper and pulled up while turning the key. The glass moves a bit, but will not come open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk