Rear glass hinge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

9C1C

Reaction score
So I've got a 2004 Yukon that had the right rear hinge for the glass break off due to failed factory adhesive/plastic. After reading that it's best to get a 2005 or 2006 rear glass hatch from the junkyard, I wanted to know the best way to go about removing the glass hatch from my Yukon. Do the pins somehow pop out of the hinges?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you can get the glass from any of the series (Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade).

With the glass up, you pop off the little C-Clips, and slide the entire glass over about 1 inch, and its off. Or you could unbolt the hinges from underneath?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its super easy, watch the video on how to remove the clips and you should be able to swap it yourself without a problem. I just had the same thing happen last year.

OP
OP

9C1C

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Looks super easy. Now I need to find the replacement at the junkyard.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep only takes a few minutes, use a flathead screw driver and lift up on the gas cylinder clips and pull and they come right off then the 2 c clips and that's it, sometimes it's nice to have a helper help hold it up in the process

jimchalil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I've got a 2004 Yukon that had the right rear hinge for the glass break off due to failed factory adhesive/plastic. After reading that it's best to get a 2005 or 2006 rear glass hatch from the junkyard, I wanted to know the best way to go about removing the glass hatch from my Yukon. Do the pins somehow pop out of the hinges?

Could the hinges not be easily glued back in place with JB Weld or something similar? Saw a post online where they fixed it that way and just wondering.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the amount of effort it takes, it's likely easier to just get new glass. I think he could even use an Escalade glass. I don't know what year they changed, but there is supposed to be an upgrade in the way the Escalades handled this.

If I were to keep the original glass, I think I'd see if I could find a glass/window shop and see if they would stick it back down again. But I have almost ZERO experience with this, so YMMV.

Edited for punctuation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove