Rear End question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I actually gained by going to 4.11's from 3.42's...gets the power back in range. 4.56's minimum, I have 31" and did 4.11's...could have done 4.56's.

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I actually gained by going to 4.11's from 3.42's...gets the power back in range. 4.56's minimum, I have 31" and did 4.11's...could have done 4.56's.

Maybe cause it sounds "steep" to go that low a gear. Ive never used them. Always been 3.73 with my trucks.. then again, ive never ran 35" M/T's

clemet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good rule of thumb that I have always followed 4.10/4.11 for 33" tires 4.56 for 35" tires, and 4.88 for 37" tires. It always seems to put the power band back where it belongs. The only thing I will say about gears such as Motive, USA Gear, and other "cheap" (as in price) gears is run a good gear oil. The only set of USA Gear gears that I have setup were noisy with cheap oil. Put Lucas in it, and no noise at all.

Last edited:

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you use other gear oils/additives on the diff's on these?
I heard somewhere that it had to be specific OEM oil because of the limited slip or something like that.

ROV Hawk

Reaction score
question for the guys that have done gear swap outs...how much are we talking for price with labor?? they have a couple off road shops in my town but everyone i've spoken with that has used these guys all complain about getting bent over with labor costs...i want to change the gears in my truck as well to at least a 4.10 i just want to get a heads up as for what kind of money i need to be looking at losing lol....thanks guys

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question for the guys that have done gear swap outs...how much are we talking for price with labor?? they have a couple off road shops in my town but everyone i've spoken with that has used these guys all complain about getting bent over with labor costs...i want to change the gears in my truck as well to at least a 4.10 i just want to get a heads up as for what kind of money i need to be looking at losing lol....thanks guys

Well, regionally, labor cost is gonna vary. For example, here in south TX. I know several reputable performance shops that will charge $150 per axle. Which, from what ive heard, is a KILLER good price.

What tires are you running? Look like 35's, no less than 4.56 from what ive heard. And some guys that are on 4.56 wish they had gone 4.88

ROV Hawk

Reaction score
Well, regionally, labor cost is gonna vary. For example, here in south TX. I know several reputable performance shops that will charge $150 per axle. Which, from what ive heard, is a KILLER good price.

What tires are you running? Look like 35's, no less than 4.56 from what ive heard. And some guys that are on 4.56 wish they had gone 4.88

150 an axle is definitely doable...and i've got a 295/70/18 so its like a 34.5 or some crap..i checked into some conversion charts and talked to a few people and the general consensus is that 4.10's will bring me back to close to what a stock ratio would be..i live in the country so when i head to town i end up being on the highway a lot and from what i understand 4.56's will kill my highway mileage...im always open to other suggestions or pieces of information because this is one of those mods that i plan on only undertaking once and the more info the better...

OP
OP
S

sniklefritz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is all awesome information.. Looks like I will go with 4.56's. I doubt that I will be able to get 150 for install so I think I will end up putting them in myself. Thanks for all the info. I am sure this thread will help a few others looking into this.

chevy_man

Reaction score
Good rule of thumb that I have always followed 4.10/4.11 for 33" tires 4.56 for 35" tires, and 4.88 for 37" tires. It always seems to put the power band back where it belongs. The only thing I will say about gears such as Motive, USA Gear, and other "cheap" (as in price) gears is run a good gear oil. The only set of USA Gear gears that I have setup were noisy with cheap oil. Put Lucas in it, and no noise at all.

Personally, if the gears were noisy the setup wasn't quite right or the gears may have had a flaw. Either way you should have taken it back and demanded they look into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmack