Rear Disc Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCYukalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i remember reading something somewhere about ppl taking the brake controllers off of the newer HDs and putting them on the OBS dont remember if it was on tahoeforum or FSC...

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
Waste of money to buy kits. Just buy the brackets, hoses, and some 86' 3/4 ton rotors and calipers for dirt cheap and be done with it for a couple hundred. Also throw a portioning valve in while you're at it.

navi243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you know where i can find a list of stuff to do a swap with existing chevy parts, and a place to buy the brackets

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your going in the direction of "96 Pro Comp Tahoe" you may want to rethink "Dumping" your money into Brakes. These Leaf Spring "Lumber Wagons" ride like crap, I know I own a '95, and after driving my girlfriends '00 I can see why the 2nd Generation Tahoe's are so popular.

arb905

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to do the same thing. I would assume the rear brakes off of a '99-'06 NBS would fit. That and the hydroboost from the same vehicle would make a good swap. Take a look at the parts for the police package yukons. The master cylinder is only 1/8" larger than the other models.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
As Sunlit & Bowtie mentioned...the front brakes do most of the work, start there and upgrade to hydroboost if you want a big upgrade. To do it right (non junkyard parts), you're going to spend $500 - $900....personally, I'm really picky about brakes and only buy new or remanufactured AC Delco for this rig. A simple and much cheaper upgrade is High Performance pads, new brake lines and flush your system.

Rear brakes only handle a % of braking and in IMO, are an awesome visual upgrade, but if you don't upgrade the front first, you're wasting money.

3/4ton calipers on these trucks are WORTHLESS if you don't change anything else, I know, I did it thinking it would help....and I bought new (remanuf) AC Delco's from a '99 HD Suburban application.

Even though the OP is '10, I hope this helps!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A master cylinder with a larger bore will help also. I have read write ups on a NBS master into an OBS. I think the difference is 7/8" on there now versus 1 1/8". That is a lot more volume if you do the math

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Just some thoughts on increasing the bore size...

Some of the aftermarket "Performance MC's" for our rigs do just that and I've read complaints referring to the additional effort it takes to smash the brakes. In normal driving they said it was a nice upgrade b/c of the firm pedal, but in panic situations, they felt it was dangerous due to the increased effort.

Two guys stated they grabbed the wheel and had to push with everything they had in a panic stop. It's not to say this is constant across all MC's with bigger bores, just the two the magazine was reviewing....just something to think about, I have no personal experience on this one.

Unfortunately I read this last yr and didn't save the link.

Another Idea: I spoke to a GM master tech (20+ yrs) that also served as a helicopter mechanic in the army and he said the biggest problem with our brake systems is the ABS unit. His recommendation was to completely remove the entire unit...but then of course you need to modify the metal lines that were running into it.

Personally that's outside of my comfort zone, but he was incredibly passionate about how this would be the cure to our lazy brakes and improve braking distances. He said adding a hydroboost to a system w/o the ABS unit would be night & day, but his first step would be to remove the ABS.

If I can confirm this from some other sources, I may give him my truck for the day and have him do all the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCUSA