Rear coil springs 2 different GM style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Says they used YKK all way to 2011 .. first year was 2004 ... So are they the 1300 lb coils ? So I just use regular shocks in the rear ?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

I have no way of knowing anymore what the spring rates are, can only go by application now. I typed that part number in over at Amazon and came up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/TRW-JCS1537T...ild=1&keywords=15115209&qid=1596545169&sr=8-1

They did say that they would fit my truck as well, since neither of us has G65, what we have are HD springs and regular shocks, not the fancy Nivomats. So yes, you can run standard type shocks in yours. Way down in the Q&A, TRW says they work on a 2003 and also provided the number for the front coils.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no way of knowing anymore what the spring rates are, can only go by application now. I typed that part number in over at Amazon and came up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/TRW-JCS1537T...ild=1&keywords=15115209&qid=1596545169&sr=8-1

They did say that they would fit my truck as well, since neither of us has G65, what we have are HD springs and regular shocks, not the fancy Nivomats. So yes, you can run standard type shocks in yours. Way down in the Q&A, TRW says they work on a 2003 and also provided the number for the front coils.
Here's is a thought how would you setup a weight distribution hitch on suburban that had those facney shockes it never work out .
It's kinda nice to know I don't have those high buck shocks and just HD springs .

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the 2002 Chev LT with G65 on rpo that I put coil over shocks in place of the oily Nivomats .. needless to say it never worked out 35 mph all the way home with that load .
Yes it had weight distribution hitch on also . But load was a bit big for the trailer also .. I ended up only hauling 2 at a time and I had to let rear of suburban sag pretty good ..so trailer wouldn't sway .. now I know why .. it was like springs were way to light and the coil over shocks were holding all the weight .
All makes sense now ... [emoji106][emoji849]

Monro coil overs must be pretty tuff ..lol6606b54f244d62f6fbf70db906527e02.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's is a thought how would you setup a weight distribution hitch on suburban that had those facney shockes it never work out .
It's kinda nice to know I don't have those high buck shocks and just HD springs .

Nivomats are suppposed to work the same as regular shocks as far as towing is concerned. Autoride, with the air shocks and compressor has a set of procedures for set up but not aware of any for Nivomat.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may have to do a little looking, I got a Tahoe with nivomat in the rear that was wrecked and one of the shocks ( as well as the axle and a few other little things) where damaged. I snagged the axle and from the reading I had done ( that the springs paired with the nivomat shocks where too soft and caused a terrible ride when the shocks where replaced with standard units) so I grabbed the springs from my avalanche also ( 02 z71 with standard suspension) it made the rake quite pronounced in the Tahoe ( so much that I ended up cranking the bars in the front about 1 1/2-2" to give it a more normal rake. ( with the nivomats it sat level without driving, and I could not drive it to see how tall they sat after a drive) now although it sits a bit raked, it rides, drives and handles great. ( I haven't put much load behind it as I have a 2500 8.1 burb for that) but I expect it will do very well.

now all of this surprises me as I could only find the two part numbers when looking for aftermarket springs, so I figured I had both and by swapping I would be good. and for the most part I really am. although not sure how It will do if I every put a plow on it.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nivomats are suppposed to work the same as regular shocks as far as towing is concerned. Autoride, with the air shocks and compressor has a set of procedures for set up but not aware of any for Nivomat.
Nivomats all you have to do is drive for couple miles before setting weight distribution hitch.. so you could see how much of load shocks take up ...guys with same boat or camper only have figure it out once . But if your always hauling different weight loads it be kinda a pain .

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More confusion so what's better for towing ..2002 Chev suburban LT towing deleting novamate shocks ..what's better constant rear spring or a variable rate rear spring. I say towing constant rate and only moog makes the 15115209 style any pointers ? AC Delco only offers heavy duty 1300 and regular springs 1040 that are variable rate .

Only one that matches is moog 81071 witch that say is same as 15116209 constant coil spring .

Last edited:

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the number.

Joe, Did we verify the YKK springs are the 1300 heavy duty spring and what is the latest part number? I have those same springs in my 2005 XL SLT 4wd. Previous owner had a shop put on KYB non-nivomat shocks on the rear in October. I’m wanting to replace the springs which look to be original. GMparts says the 15115209 doesn’t fit my Yukon XL?

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, Did we verify the YKK springs are the 1300 heavy duty spring and what is the latest part number? I have those same springs in my 2005 XL SLT 4wd. Previous owner had a shop put on KYB non-nivomat shocks on the rear in October. I’m wanting to replace the springs which look to be original. GMparts says the 15115209 doesn’t fit my Yukon XL?
Ykk are in my 2006 yukon xl slt option 2 .HD .
[emoji848] I know there constant rate because I put a set of regular shocks on them. I know they're the HD because like when gas is empty my back end is up in the air. And heavy trailer no saging . Remember my is slt option 2 with 4:10 gears . There wasn't as many in 2006 there was more in 2005 . I got air bags I just need to install them .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645