Rear Cargo Extra Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowride77

Reaction score
So we all know the issue with rear cargo storage in the Tahoe and I see multiple solutions on here for adding storage in lieu of the third row seating. I need the third row seats in all the time for the family.

In my endless pursuit of every little bit of extra space i can get, i try to find places to store stuff like this.

So my question to others here is if anyone has information about what is directly behind this little square area here:

07_Tahoe_Cargo_Area.jpg

I have seen other models or years where there is a storage cubby with a door like this:

2009_chevrolet_tahoe_hybrid_trunk.jpg

2009 doesn't have that. Is there a reason? Is it the power liftgate cylinder? The gas tank fill neck?

I have popped out the cup holder for the jack area and i cant see enough down in there to see if anything is back there.

If there was enough space, I thought about cutting that square out for more room. Maybe trying to do it where i can make a door/cover with the plastic piece.

Thoughts? Looking for info on whats behind door #1. :)

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like your rig has power lift gate - model you see with the cubby lack the power option. FWIW, that cubby is SMALL and doesnt hold much. I stuffed a small bottle jack and my 7pin trailer connector in there...Might even have a bungee or 2 but nothing much else fits in there.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the cubby, and I store my jumper cables and a sub extention speaker wire in it. Forward of that cubby is where my 2 audio power amps are installed.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88FD5074-C2DA-4112-87CD-54640FCE2D30.jpeg
liftgate up
A87CE23F-86E2-406D-863F-845E3825E280.jpeg
down

i did have jumper cables tucked in there, you can reach from the jack opening, but then worried it might jam up the arm or get abraded so i took it out.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Randomly came across this thread. One thing you can do is remove the small plastic piece forward of the cup holders to gain a little extra, was enough to fit an inflator, jump pack and fix a flat in a can. I’ve done it to all of mine. That power lift gate does eat up a lot of space. It got one clip and then a tab melted in. I just break them off as I don’t plan on putting it back

Attachments

• IMG_8120.jpeg
    IMG_8120.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8119.jpeg
    IMG_8119.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut