Rear brakes still surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tdupont

tdupont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
An play in axle components can make that. If you have as example wear out steering rods and you brake, then the ever-present slight unevenness of the front and rear brake discs quickly builds up and causes the steering wheel to wobble.

I would also definitely disassemble the brake calipers, take out one brake pad, reassemble the brake caliper and then push the brake pistons back as hard as possible.

Then an assistant brakes the brake pistons out completely and you push them back in again. This makes them easy to move again. This should be repeated about 5 to 10 times. At the same time you should grease the slide pins so that the calipers can move easily.

This means that the brake pads are not permanently in contact with the brake discs, which causes the brake discs to heat up. Brake discs are always slightly uneven or warped. They also have to be so that they can push back the brake pads accordingly, so that they do not permanently contact the brake disc while driving.

If the brake calipers or pistons are stiff, the pads remain pressed too ******* the disc. Unfortunately, they always heat up where they brake the most, which in turn leads to one-sided heat and this in turn can lead to distortion.

That's why imho you should always use carburized brake discs, which are heat treated again after processing, because this releases tension from the material.
Interesting! I've never thought about manipulating the pistons and sort of "resetting" them. I'll have to give this a shot next time I have it in the garage. Hopefully it helps.
I always use ceramic pads, will have to look into the carburized discs.

OP
OP
tdupont

tdupont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
By the way, how do you know it is the rear brakes causing the pulsation?
Feel it in the pedal, not much response in the steering wheel. I recently did the front wheel bearings, bought a brake kit for the fronts and everything was perfect for the front so put the new bearings in and put the rest of it back together.

OP
OP
tdupont

tdupont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did my oil change/tire rotation. Turns out the RR tire was down to 20 psi, cranked them all up to 40 and after putting about 200-300 miles on, only have a slight shake in the steering wheel, nothing compared to what I had.
That being said, anyone know if the 2003 LTs have the TPMS system in them? Would be nice to know when my tire gets that low...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did my oil change/tire rotation. Turns out the RR tire was down to 20 psi, cranked them all up to 40 and after putting about 200-300 miles on, only have a slight shake in the steering wheel, nothing compared to what I had.
That being said, anyone know if the 2003 LTs have the TPMS system in them? Would be nice to know when my tire gets that low...

2003s should have TPMS. By now all of my sensors have been replaced at least once, since they're rubber-stemmed, and not the OE aluminum stems.

OP
OP
tdupont

tdupont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2003s should have TPMS. By now all of my sensors have been replaced at least once, since they're rubber-stemmed, and not the OE aluminum stems.
I was thinking it would. Seems like the system is just deactivated or something, doesn't come up when scrolling through the menu in the dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz