Rear air ride leveling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camaro71

Reaction score
08 Yukon denali. I'd like to lower the rear to match the front height. Can I get adjustable/ shorter rods for the rear height sensors to achive this? Thanks all.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a stock suspension? Unless you changed the front height, a properly working Denali suspension should automatically level the truck, by adjusting the pressure in the air bags on the rear shocks. Do you hear the compressor kick for about 5 seconds on when you start the truck?

OP
OP
C

Camaro71

Reaction score
Do you have a stock suspension? Unless you changed the front height, a properly working Denali suspension should automatically level the truck, by adjusting the pressure in the air bags on the rear shocks. Do you hear the compressor kick for about 5 seconds on when you start the truck?
Yes stock suspension. Yes compressor kicks on briefly at engine start up. Thanks

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes stock suspension. Yes compressor kicks on briefly at engine start up. Thanks
OK. If you have a Tech 2 or equivalent, there is a procedure called Automatic Level Control (ALC) that you can perform on a level surface that will set your level point baseline for the truck. I suggest that you try this procedure next.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08 Yukon denali. I'd like to lower the rear to match the front height. Can I get adjustable/ shorter rods for the rear height sensors to achive this? Thanks all.

The ALC only lifts it about 1/2" at startup. The rear is inherently higher due to the springs. You'll need shorter springs to lower it to where you want it. You'll have to adjust the ride height sensor links accordingly or it'll think the rear is squatting that dropped amount and pump it back up to the height it was before, requiring more air pressure, resulting in a stiffer ride. Measure front and rear and determine how much rear drop you want.

Before you lower it, park on a level surface and mark the sensors where they're at. Mark the part that moves with the sensor body that's mounted to the frame. After lowering, adjust the link rods so your marks re-align. For this small amount of drop, you can bend the link rod. Remove the rod, bite it in the center with two Vise Grips and bend it to a shallow "V". Mock it up into position to see where it'll put the sensor and repeat as necessary.

OP
OP
C

Camaro71

Reaction score
The ALC only lifts it about 1/2" at startup. The rear is inherently higher due to the springs. You'll need shorter springs to lower it to where you want it. You'll have to adjust the ride height sensor links accordingly or it'll think the rear is squatting that dropped amount and pump it back up to the height it was before, requiring more air pressure, resulting in a stiffer ride. Measure front and rear and determine how much rear drop you want.

Before you lower it, park on a level surface and mark the sensors where they're at. Mark the part that moves with the sensor body that's mounted to the frame. After lowering, adjust the link rods so your marks re-align. For this small amount of drop, you can bend the link rod. Remove the rod, bite it in the center with two Vise Grips and bend it to a shallow "V". Mock it up into position to see where it'll put the sensor and repeat as necessary.
Thanks, good advice !

OP
OP
C

Camaro71

Reaction score
OK. If you have a Tech 2 or equivalent, there is a procedure called Automatic Level Control (ALC) that you can perform on a level surface that will set your level point baseline for the truck. I suggest that you try this procedure next.
Thanks !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz