Really scary situation yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coleb13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok... so i auto started my 2018 Tahoe Lt because in Texas it’s 100 degrees. Opened the door, put my 3 year old in the her car seat and shut the door. Unbeknownst to me, my keys fell out of my pocket on to the seat. All of a sudden, all of the doors are locked. Freaking out i call a locksmith. Didn’t have onstar activated so thought i was out of luck. CAR THEN SHUTS OFF AFTER 10 min. Probably standard. I call onstar and they help me out due to emergency. BUT HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN WITH MY KEYS IN THE CAR?? should i take it in and ask? Thanks for any help. Never been more scared in my life. My daughter was trapped for 20 min and was really hot but checked out ok. Almost bashed out a window but i thought locksmith would be there quick. Thanks for any advice.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok... so i auto started my 2018 Tahoe Lt because in Texas it’s 100 degrees. Opened the door, put my 3 year old in the her car seat and shut the door. Unbeknownst to me, my keys fell out of my pocket on to the seat. All of a sudden, all of the doors are locked. Freaking out i call a locksmith. Didn’t have onstar activated so thought i was out of luck. CAR THEN SHUTS OFF AFTER 10 min. Probably standard. I call onstar and they help me out due to emergency. BUT HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN WITH MY KEYS IN THE CAR?? should i take it in and ask? Thanks for any help. Never been more scared in my life. My daughter was trapped for 20 min and was really hot but checked out ok. Almost bashed out a window but i thought locksmith would be there quick. Thanks for any advice.
According to what I understand about these trucks, I thought they were programmed to not lock automatically if the key is inside the vehicle. But I could be wrong on that.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to someone in service management at the dealer.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to renew On*

I find value in it and have been a subscriber for years.

Glad everything worked out good for you and your daughter.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What I dont get is why you were not able to just unlock it with the button on the door handle, seeing the key was still close by?

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I travel, I keep my key on a little tether inside my briefcase. Now and then I return, find my car in the airport garage, forget that my key is in my briefcase, and toss my briefcase in the way-back along with my suitcase. And then I close the hatch, which locks my key inside the car.

This should not be allowed to happen.

Thankfully I have the myChevrolet app on my phone, which is usually in my pocket. Mine's a '16. I never subscribed to OnStar past the trial period, and the key fob commands within the app still work, as does the remote start.

Obviously your story is far more alarming because it was your daughter and not my briefcase - but I agree with you that is a serious design or execution flaw. Download the app, though.

Denali4181

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The remote commands in the app are no longer free on 18+ models. You have to have the remote package to get them to work.

$90 a year gets you the remote functions, vehicle diagnostics (fuel level, gas etc), and vehicle locate services.

You can also look at having the exterior keypad installed on the driver door which would allow you to enter a code to unlock the door.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The remote commands in the app are no longer free on 18+ models. You have to have the remote package to get them to work.

$90 a year gets you the remote functions, vehicle diagnostics (fuel level, gas etc), and vehicle locate services.
Well that's a step back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk

Latest posts