real time install on oil leak fixes and front diff carrier bearing install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whining/groaning at very slow speeds with slight throttle input.

confirmed by the broken lock tab as shown in the pictures.

OP
OP
V

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you replaced the lock tab with the metal ones correct?

yes, there is a pic in the link. and i actually put rtv on it once bent down into position. i was carful not to allow any into the roller bearing that holds the axle shaft. my theory was that even if it snapped again, the "loaf" of rtv around it, being sandwiched between the metal side of the axle seal, and the preload nut for the carrier bearing, would at least keep it in place.

time will tell.

obviously if you have any questions at all, fire away man. since using the pickle fork to get the pitman and idler arm off the drag link aka centre link, i have learned a new method which does not require you to use a pickle fork. using a pickle fork typically damages part of the knuckle joint, which isn't cool, it did damage mine slightly but i just put them back on. here is a video to it, this is important. removing these are really really easy. and you will need to do it in order to allow the diff to sort of rotate forward as it 'drops' out. it doesn't really 'drop'. you have to sort of help it out. go straight to 1:50 and you will see what i mean. note you only need to take the pitman arm (and the other one that looks the same, the idler arm) off the center/drag link. you then push the drag link back out of the way and rotate the arms out of the way for the diff to drop.

honestly the biggest pita is getting it back into place. i had my wife operate the jack (teach her how to back it off SLIGHTLY at a time before you are under the car) and I was under the truck aligning it as she went up a couple pumps at a time. we had to back it off and go at it again a few times. WATCH YOUR FINGERS DOWN THERE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PERFECTLY CLEAR COMMUNICATION WITH THE JACK OPERATOR.

Last edited:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VIKINGtRAD3R, Did you see this thread ?

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/diagnosing-noises-2003-tahoe.75968/

The howling noise starting at 40 mph that he has...is that the same as you had which indicates carrier bearings? You stated very slow speeds so wondering if you guys have the same issues (minus the clunky shifting) Based on other posts it sounds like it is the same issue but nice to hear it from someone who just fixed it.

OP
OP
V

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thnx i dropped a note on his thread. lots of info about this noise on the web. great videos and some excellent forum posts for reference material.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually didnt check! eill do tomorrow.
Thanks. Reason I'm curious is mine has similar movement, and it's only 20k miles after a front diff rebuild. Hopefully it's "normal" :emotions122:
Wasn't smart enough to check before

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12