ready to say f--k efan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok...a few weeks ago i posted a thread about a problem i was having. i went and bought the relay from napa that everyone was talking about and since then everything has been perfect. I changed my oil today and when i got in my truck to move it i cut the lights on and the parking lamps fuse blew and my dash lights went off. i read a while back on here about someone who had trouble with there headlights after installing a big relay. will a freewheeling diode fix the problem or have i already completely fuked my electrical system in which case i will hum the efan across the yard and put my clutch fan back on. I would like to find the problem because i noticed a huge improvement in gas mileage. please someone help me! i get nervous with electrical.

also: could someone be brutally honest with me and tell me if i might have already messed shit up be not having a diode.

thanks guys

Last edited:
OP
OP
97yukon

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright just a little update....i took my dash off today to find the black, yellow, orange and green wire from the light switch burned together. after stripping the insulation off and doing a temporary electrical tape fix around all the exposed copper wire i cut the switch on and it still blows the fuse. someone please chime in hear because i am at a loss.

My fan is ran off of a st85 from napa and i am beginning to think its drawing to much power. but i really hope its not too late because i am tremendously **** about any of my possessions and i seriously was about to lose it earlier today.

anyone?

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The switches in these year trucks are known to go bad because of the small wiring GM uses, add a relay to your headlights. I don't think the e-fan has anything to do with it depending on where you're pulling power from

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your pulling power for your fan relay directly from the battery correct? shouldn't be affecting your dash lights any. if anything pull to much and dim them, not blow that fuse.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you hooked the fan up to your headlights for some reason, it should have NOTHING to do with your headlight problem. Just like stated above, the wiring is shit for the 99 and older trucks, and all the current runs thru the switch instead of a relay. If you have some high wattage aftermarket headlight bulbs, that will cause the switch to burn up like yours did. What you need to do is get a new harness for your headlight switch, and possibly a new switch too. You should also wire up your headlights to a relay so they draw power directly from the battery, and the switch only triggers the relay instead of having the full current load flowing thru the switch.

OP
OP
97yukon

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies guys. ive been in destin florida for a week so i couldnt get back but i found the problem right before i left. i have license place bolt lights to light up the plate on my rollpan and the wires melted together because i didnt use insulated spades like a dumbass. that was blowing the fuse and the burnt wires were simply my stupidity which is still pissing me off as i type this. but i appreciate all the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700