RCLC.....1997 2dr Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a 1997 2dr 120k miles. I have owned an 01 and 06 4dr's and do understand most issues but would like to hear from you all. i really like this body style. I had and awesome 88 Blazer in the day.
I had a ‘97 4wd 4 door. Got $5k trade in for it in 2005 on a new z71 Tahoe. It was a good truck but I spent a lot of time under the hood. It ATE front disc brakes! I had to replace pads every 7,500 miles and rotors every 15,000. My 2005 has 170k on the original fronts and the tears were replaced at 140k but weren’t worn out.

I also had to replace front suspension parts, belt idlers,

GMW468

Reaction score
Here's the way I look at it. I never really worry about what OTHER people say about what a vehicle is worth. I look at how that particular vehicle fits my budget and lifestyle.

120K is pretty decent miles for a 97. It's officially a 23 year old truck and it should have double those miles. Add to that the fact that the 2 doors are highly sought after and cool as Hell and I'd probably pay a little more. I can't say that I'd pay $8500 for it until I saw it in person.

But I look at it this way, $8500 is still a Hell of a lot cheaper than what these ridiculously priced new trucks cost today. People paying $800 a month for any vehicle need to have their heads examined.

Most of these trucks have transmission issues at some point. The 4L60E is a turd. The Vortec motors had issues with the intake leaking. They're also well known for rocker rust, and for fuel and brake line rust issues. If all of that has been addressed or is in good shape, I'd consider it. But as you said, go over that thing with a fine toothed comb.

Good luck!

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a ‘99 with 110K almost a year ago. The 3rd owner from 2011-me maybe put 8k miles/yr and I suspect it sat covered otherwise in the Houston area. Tarp and cinder block cover, not lamb skin and fine Corinthian leather.
Rubber and plastic are the majority of my battles.

I blew the intake manifold gasket a month ago racing on I-10. Drove home and kept the trips short and radiator full and fixed it the following weekend. Suspension parts I replaced were normal: control arm bushings, pitman and idler and end links Brakes I did because they were off anyways.

For suspension go Moog Problem Solver line, my .02 do it once and be done.

At 135k miles now I’m having signs of tranny trouble. May be cheap, may not be.

All that to say, for $8500 show me the receipt or box from a FelPro intake manifold gasket and at least the TransGo or Sonnax 4L60 fixit kits.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be easier to tell u what isnt wrong with mine. But if you like working on it yourself everything is dirt cheap. You can just about rebuild the whole damn thing for $15k

Agreed. With the age of these trucks, you pretty much have to do all the work yourself or have a fat checkbook to pay a mechanic.

I’d rather do everything myself, knock on wood.

OP
OP
R

rclc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
east302.. your pix of your Tahoe is exactly the look of the 97 I looked at. Appears yours was a Sport model as is the 97. Finale answer; not one record of any maintenance or Knowledge of any. Had no idea of the Oil (brand or weight). Professionally detailed, clear coat issues, minor but you all know the story of whats coming. Started to walk away, made a short turn back and quickly turned and it will belong to someone else. It was a Good Looker and a style I have always liked But...
Could have owned it for 7...+$ to make awesome. Peace

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 98, I drove four hours to buy it. They’re hard to find in good condition now days, but I can understand the hesitation on the clear coat issues.

Something else will pop up, I’m sure.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To clarify my post above, for me to pay $8500 for a '97 that truck would need to look like it was purchased new, sealed up, and stored in a private warehouse with a dedicated employee who performed required time sensitive maintenance at regular intervals. Or you'd just have to seriously want it and have no other options. As much as I love the 2 doors, you can get a lot more vehicle for around that price.

That's a pretty good description of the condition of my '95 2-Dr when I bought it in mid '18. I looked hard for months and the 2-Drs ('95-'99) were selling for much more than the 4-Drs.

It looked to me like the hobbiest/enthusiast buyers had added the 2-Drs to their target lists. I think I saw more 5 figure asking prices than I did 4 figure prices.

My stock, new-looking '95, with 139,000 miles, cost me 5 figures.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts