Rattling / Resonance from RR under light throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
If you have the original muffler, check the heat shield on top of if. Mine made similar noise because the shield was torn from welds at both ends.
Will give it a check when the snow ***** off. I only did a quick crawl under the thing while in a parking lot with a cold fist. Missed that there was a heat shield on top. Hopefully that's it? Will check back in later

Elmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For years I chased a rattle. Last week I found a quarter in the opening for the rear anchor of my second row driver side seat. About 1/3 of it was visible while I had the seat up to vacuum. The quarter apparently moved up and down the channel. So I just got lucky. Sometimes it sounded as if the rattle was in front. Sometimes it was alongside. Sometimes it was behind me. Sometimes the quarter got hung up and did not rattle at all. Sometimes it was speed sensitive.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For years I chased a rattle. Last week I found a quarter in the opening for the rear anchor of my second row driver side seat. About 1/3 of it was visible while I had the seat up to vacuum. The quarter apparently moved up and down the channel. So I just got lucky. Sometimes it sounded as if the rattle was in front. Sometimes it was alongside. Sometimes it was behind me. Sometimes the quarter got hung up and did not rattle at all. Sometimes it was speed sensitive.

Hmm... That makes cents.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one for a long time on a 4runner I don't know how many times I had it checked each time it went in for service or anytime it went up on a lift we could never find it, then one day I bumped into the front bumper apparently at just the right angle and it made the noise, turned out is was a loose mounting bolt for the bumper and it only wiggled one way otherwise it would appear tight. another one on a silverado was the heat shield around the motor it was bent just enough that it would touch on the exhaust manifold at a certain point took a while to find that one also just happened to notice it one day while looking at something else. things like that will drive you nuts and make you think there is something else wrong

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one for a long time on a 4runner I don't know how many times I had it checked each time it went in for service or anytime it went up on a lift we could never find it, then one day I bumped into the front bumper apparently at just the right angle and it made the noise, turned out is was a loose mounting bolt for the bumper and it only wiggled one way otherwise it would appear tight. another one on a silverado was the heat shield around the motor it was bent just enough that it would touch on the exhaust manifold at a certain point took a while to find that one also just happened to notice it one day while looking at something else. things like that will drive you nuts and make you think there is something else wrong

I saved $1,000 on Jenn's car cuz the dealer said it needed rear brakes. He said after driving for a few minutes, they start to make noises, probably from getting hot. It sounded nor acted anything like brakes. During the test drive, I mentioned how concerned I was that it had to be something seriously wrong (read: "expensive") with the brakes, and used that as bargaining leverage. On the way home, I stopped at a grocery store and pulled the bottom of the rear bumper cover out and straightened the bracket. Ten-second fix. The PO probably backed into a curb and pushed it inward. When the exhaust expanded from heat, it would lightly rub the bent bracket.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Got a chance to go under today.

Heatshield on top of the exhaust popped loose on the left-front corner. Just bent it up enough that it's not making contact any more. Probably should have welded it but the only 'welder' I have is an oxy torch and it's a bit too small under there for me to trust having that much waste heat under the car. Rattle's gone though! Back to driving like a Chevy and not a beat out honda

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a chance to go under today.

Heatshield on top of the exhaust popped loose on the left-front corner. Just bent it up enough that it's not making contact any more. Probably should have welded it but the only 'welder' I have is an oxy torch and it's a bit too small under there for me to trust having that much waste heat under the car. Rattle's gone though! Back to driving like a Chevy and not a beat out honda

You might get a humming bird sound from that heat shield once in a while depending on how loose it becomes. Sometimes when idling, but anytime is possible. I was able to wedge a nice rock into mine.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy at work bought a Dodge car of some kind and it had a rattle. Bought in to the dealer a few times. Dealer was “unable to hear it”. He got to the point where he modified his exhaust to help cover the sound up. When he removed the muffler he found a box end wrench in the muffler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum