Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have and advice on where I have developed a rattle from. It’s an 02 tahoe 4wd and It only does it when I accelerate from a stop or go in reverse and stop. It seems like when the front end is unloaded is when it happens. I’ve crawled under it beat with a dead blow hammer and found nothing. I checked the manifold collector bolts and they are tight. This just started out of no where. When it’s idling and sitting still no noise no matter the rpm. Anyone had an issue like this. Any help be appreciated.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a crazy rattle vibration sound, but it turned out to be the heat shield on top of the muffler.

Does your rattle coincide with your RPM's?

Check your CV joints.

Can you tell if it is a mechanical sound or a loose panel type sound?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rear of your truck. Sometimes sound can be coming from there but it sounds like it is coming from the front.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a lose heat shield/pulley. But at idle it’s quiet. Just from dead stop or reverse then braking. I’ve hit the exhaust front and rear. One guy I work with said maybe a wheel bearing but I’ve had those go out and and it’s always been a roar or grind.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with torque convertor bolts causing this ? It’s weird cause it doesn’t do it at idle. It sounds as if it is coming from underneath. That’s why I’m wondering about the bolts.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearing would be constant grinding. If it only does it when the transmission is engaged, that could be your answer.

A quick help could be to put the rear end on jack stands, get your phone or a camera for a video and place it where you think the noise is coming from and then go through some gearing and accelerating and see if you can pinpoint it that way.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit the mufflers and cats with the hammer. I've had mufflers break apart internally and only rattle under perfect scenarios.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I knew it wouldn’t be a wheel bearing. I was thinking bout Having the front up actually since it seems to do it when the front end unloads a little off the suspension form a start or braking in reverse. But I’ll do the rear as well see what happens. Prob be closer to the weekend. I have another ride so I can at least park the tahoe in case it’s something that can cause some serious damage.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No cats. Forgot to mention that. And I’ve beat the exhaust from front to back nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076