Rattle from rear of vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the source???
Walk out to your vehicle and push in on the rear glass right where the latch is.
The glass in my 15i Tahoe moves in slightly, and then "springs" back out. When done repeatedly, the glass rattles against the interior of the hatch.
I have put two strips of the padded side of Velcro between the latch area and the glass.
Perhaps this is the source of the rattle.
Time will tell---.

itried

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea keep us posted. I'll check ours out. Ours seems to come and go, sometimes you hear it other times you dont. Frustrating to say the least.

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far--so good.
I think--think--the rattle is gone.
I hope---hope--that it is!!

Be safe.
Bob

TheAgency

Reaction score
Had similar issues with my '15. I'd like to think I had the curse of buying an early build and that these small problems have been fixed in future production, but maybe not.

I recommend you check the following when dealing with a rear rattle, especially at low speed.
-Make sure your jack/toolkit/chocks are secured tight.
-Make sure your rear cargo area floor storage bin is tight. Lift up the thin rubber liner and you'll find two hand dials to tighten.
-Check to make sure the upper portion of the interior trim, which surrounds the glass, is secure and looks to be where it should.
-The anti-pinch sensors can also be a culprit. Attached to both sides of the liftgate are thin strips of black plastic running along each edge. These are safety sensors actually, but I've found when they get cold, they harden and can be prone to rattles. I was able to get a very high-quality roll of adhesive backed felt, about the same width as scotch tape, and I was able to carefully place in between the pinch sensor and their substrate. The sensors still function, but it does insulate the plastic from each other. Again, you're just tucking this felt into the small gap on the sensor; it shouldn't be visible unless you've got the gate open and you're looking from the side.

It's unfortunate that we have these issues in trucks that are costing 60-75k, but hey at least I don't have buffeting and I'll admit I'm a perfectionist.

itried

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a pic of the anti pinch area where you put the felt at?

TheAgency

Reaction score
@itried I did my best to take some photos for you; I do have a black truck with black interior so it was tough to get some contrast. Basically run the the felt tape the whole length of each side of the gate, from the top of the gas strut to where you see the "anti-pinch" sensor end near the bottom of the gate. Again, you're insulating what I would call the "paddle" of the pinch sensor from it's substrate on the lift gate itself, not the truck body.

I'm sure any felt tape would work, but this stuff has been on since Nov of 14 and I wash weekly, and live in Minneapolis, so it's held up very well and is sized perfectly in my opinion. Just start with your gate open and "feed" the tape in the gap as you remove the backing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDRRNE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Between my biz partner and I's trucks, we've seen all sorts of rattles and our solutions worked after trips to the dealer didn't. Best of luck. Try all of them.

fullsizeoutput_b00.jpeg

itried

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
found what my rattle is. I only get the rattle when the rear ac is turned OFF. I have tried this multiple times. Each time i get the same results. Any ideas on it?

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a rattle from the rear area of my new 16 Tahoe when going over bumps. It's more prevalent at lower speeds. Sounds like it's coming from the back glass area, but not certain. I need to have the wife drive it and let me sit in the 3rd row to see what I can find out. Thought I'd go ahead and ask here before chasing my tail to see if it's a common problem.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hi myoung84,

We certainly recognize how this rattling noise could be frustrating while driving at lower speeds. If we can help in any way, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and servicing dealership.

Best,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boom313