Radio replacement in '00 Hoe LS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
I want to replace my existing factory non-Bose w/subwoofer unit. I don't need anything too fancy, but do want Bluetooth. Are there any replacement units that are a simple swap out for the original?

FWIW, my Hoe is a NBS if that matters.

TIA

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you just asking about replacing your head unit with an aftermarket? Its very simple. There are many many threads on this, even on the first page. Bluetooth is almost considered a required basic feature for most new head units.

You can put a Single Din head unit with just a $10 bracket. A 1.5 Din should fit, but are going to be a lot smaller of a market. If you want to put in a big double din, there are a few ways to do it, but its going to cost you several hundred more if you want it to look factory.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Are you just asking about replacing your head unit with an aftermarket? Its very simple. There are many many threads on this, even on the first page. Bluetooth is almost considered a required basic feature for most new head units.

You can put a Single Din head unit with just a $10 bracket. A 1.5 Din should fit, but are going to be a lot smaller of a market. If you want to put in a big double din, there are a few ways to do it, but its going to cost you several hundred more if you want it to look factory.

Good info, thanks. From what I'm seeing, looks like a single din is the way to go for the simplest and easiest swap. It's not that I'm unfamiliar with replacing the devices, done that many times in many different things. It's the size that is throwing me. .

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info, thanks. From what I'm seeing, looks like a single din is the way to go for the simplest and easiest swap. It's not that I'm unfamiliar with replacing the devices, done that many times in many different things. It's the size that is throwing me. .

Yes. Just to make a guess, I'd say: single din is about 60% of the options, double din is about 40%, and 1.5 din is somewhere in there at less than 5%. You can make any size work, it really comes down to what you want and what your budget is. A din is 2" tall. A double din is 4" tall. (Fellas were measuring the "body height", not from the holes in the back, forward, then up). Single dins are going to be cheaper, you can get a nice one with almost every feature you will need for music for $75-$125. Really nice ones are several hundred. A double din is going to be more expensive, anywhere from $200-$1500. A double din could have navigation, back up camera, dvd, apps, etc.. Its the difference between having a music player and a diversified media/travel/info station.

Any single Din, or 1.5 din will fit right in. You just attach them to the right bracket and it slides right in no fuss, about as complicated as replacing a AA battery. To get a double din to fit there is a thin metal bracket/tab behind your radio on the mount that you will need to cut/Dremel out. Then you need to either cut the center plastic bar on your bezel that is just below your head unit (for a cheap way), or for a factory look you would have to buy a different bezel ($140) and paint it to match your dash. This is pretty simple too, for most people its the expense of putting one in.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Thanks for answering just about every question I had about it!!! :):worship: That makes it much simpler, and fits in with what I had in mind, and for that matter, most every replacement I've done in the past. I really appreciate the info!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks for answering just about every question I had about it!!! :):worship: That makes it much simpler, and fits in with what I had in mind, and for that matter, most every replacement I've done in the past. I really appreciate the info!
I have a single din with other add ons for sale. Pm me if you're interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844