[Question] Trailer Plug Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Collins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a small trailer not long ago and I'm really annoyed with the gearing that the Yukon puts itself into when the trailer button is activated. It's a small, 6ft trailer for hauling small stuff. I don't need it preparing itself for long, hard hauls.

Does anyone have a How-To or DIY to wire up something myself that will allow the lights to function properly without using the factory plug? I don't want to have to push the button just to make the brake lights on my trailer work...

Thanks in advance!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed, something else is going on with your lights. My trailer lights work properly whether or not in tow/haul mode.

Although I kind of wish it would remember to stay in tow/haul mode instead of having to remember to turn it back on after re-starting.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
From a quick poke on functionality, it appears as though you might be able to wire it to a toggle switch if that's something important to you. Can test if it'll work by pulling off the column trim, unplugging the wires, and manually connecting them together or leaving them apart to check operation

OP
OP
Joe Collins

Joe Collins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My truck has an alarm on it that I think jacks with a lot of electrical stuff. That's probably a part of it. It figures I'd have this problem. Or it could be something wrong with the adapter that came with it.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the trailer lights have no connection to the tow haul button. As others have said, mine work regardless of tow haul. And I never use tow haul unless it's something really heavy. 5000lbs or less I dont bother as I dont like the higher shift points.
You have independent fuses for trailer lights, your alarm shouldn't be wired into trailer lights at all, not should it effect tow haul either.

Something funky is going on in your truck.

If your only towing trailers with a 4 prong connector, and cant figure out how to get them to work properly. Then just go the auto parts store and get a 4 prong harness. Comes with 4-6ft of wire and just tie into your trucks taillight wiring and it will work how you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9