question on ordering front wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!
If there ever was any kind of maintenance or repairs on older vehicles I have owned over the years, bolts have always come out without too much difficulty.
It is the few vehicles I have had, where PO never did any maintenance (pads/rotors/hubs) and completely ignored things that should have been repaired or replaced.
Those are the one that have had zero lubrication, have never moved and allowed our old friend rust to really settle in.

Pads and rotors have been replaced several times on vehicles I have owned, so I really have never had to use anything more than a 2 foot breaker bar to get them out.

Hubs on the other hand... Hub bolts have come out just fine with breaker bar, but the hubs I just did on my Tahoe were in there since 04 and really attached to the knuckles.
That was when I used one set of the old bolts to bang the hub out, which worked like a charm.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On second thought, I agree to not attempt to use impact wrench on the slide bolts if you have the T55 head. The head is strong steel but you don't want to strip that head. You can try a non-dull vise grip and a hammer to grab the lip of these bolts. That worked for me when I didn't have the T55 socket. Use my setup with tapping and heat and they should come loose.
The rubber sleeves should be replaced IMO. If you look at the design they are what the caliper rides on. The pin diameter is much smaller than the bore in the caliper. Please double check me on this. I got the rubber sleeves out using a pick - the boots need to come out. In my area we don't have salt or much rain for that matter so things were not rusted much. The test drive went well - no ABS codes/etc. PS: I used a wood chisel to get the boots started - then screw driver to work them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA