Question in regard to dash overlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
08 yukon denali xl1500. If i install one of these "full" overlays and attach it with silicone, am i burrying anything that i may have to repair/replace and have to destroy the overlay to remove it and access the repair?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the overlay is specific to your truck the only things that come to mind are the auto headlight sensor and the speakers depending on how far it comes down the front and sides. Your bose speaker in the middle of the dash carries a lot of sound.

OP
OP
T

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, the overlay is color matched cocoa and configured for the bose system. Im really wondering if there is any reasons that the forward defrost panel would need to be removed to facilitate maintanance underneath? its a $200 one piece unit and once in place you would have to destroy it to get it off. I am apprehensive with having to "silicone or glue" in place the overlay as the stock dash will look a whole lot worse than just a few cracks if i ever had to remove the overlay.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, the overlay is color matched cocoa and configured for the bose system. Im really wondering if there is any reasons that the forward defrost panel would need to be removed to facilitate maintanance underneath? its a $200 one piece unit and once in place you would have to destroy it to get it off. I am apprehensive with having to "silicone or glue" in place the overlay as the stock dash will look a whole lot worse than just a few cracks if i ever had to remove the overlay.
Is there not a way to use industrial strength Velcro? That shit's strong.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or is there a way to leave room to get to the clips and screws that hold the original dash in place?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can even get the instrument cluster out with those overlays- they go right over the cover that's on top of the cluster. I replaced my dash and there's also no way you'll ever get the dash itself off without removing that overlay so anything that requires dash removal will be impossible. I guess it's the risk you take when spending $200 for an overlay as opposed to $600 for the dash itself.

OP
OP
T

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there not a way to use industrial strength Velcro? That shit's strong.[/Q
I don't think you can even get the instrument cluster out with those overlays- they go right over the cover that's on top of the cluster. I replaced my dash and there's also no way you'll ever get the dash itself off without removing that overlay so anything that requires dash removal will be impossible. I guess it's the risk you take when spending $200 for an overlay as opposed to $600 for the dash itself.

thanks, i kinda knew that was the case, so ill save the $200 and live with the cracks or do the oem replacement. Is it a horrible R&R requiring removal of every electrical device, hvac ducting, steering wheel/column? I did a resto on a BMW 850 and got a smokin deal on the car as a heater core was bad. after doing the dash removal on that car i swore never again!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks, i kinda knew that was the case, so ill save the $200 and live with the cracks or do the oem replacement. Is it a horrible R&R requiring removal of every electrical device, hvac ducting, steering wheel/column? I did a resto on a BMW 850 and got a smokin deal on the car as a heater core was bad. after doing the dash removal on that car i swore never again!
It’s not bad just a lot of screws. On my Silverado, which is the only one I’ve done, I I had to lower the steering column but I think the SUV’s don’t have that problem. You do need to pull the IC, stereo, HVAC controls etc but like I said it’s not bad. Just be real careful removing the big flat panel that goes between the dash and windshield- if you break the clips that hold it in place you’re out another $300 for that part. Break the dash where the clips attach to it if you have to but don’t break the flat panel!

OP
OP
T

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not bad just a lot of screws. On my Silverado, which is the only one I’ve done, I I had to lower the steering column but I think the SUV’s don’t have that problem. You do need to pull the IC, stereo, HVAC controls etc but like I said it’s not bad. Just be real careful removing the big flat panel that goes between the dash and windshield- if you break the clips that hold it in place you’re out another $300 for that part. Break the dash where the clips attach to it if you have to but don’t break the flat panel!

thanks for the info!, yea the defrost panel is cracked too, front left at a attach point. probably from someone trying to get in there. $1000 for oem cosmetics? I think ill simply buy the overlay and see how it would work with minimum adherence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA