Question about the Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sanman28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure enough my 22’ is doing this. Not sure about my wife’s 21’. Ordered a new sensor and will swap out asap. Not f-in with the dealer on this for $17 shipped.

Last edited:

sanman28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so as everybody knows the sensor is on intergalactic back order. What I found does work is black electrical tape. Cut a piece about 1.5” long and place it right on the sensor. Works like a charm. DRL stay on in the sun and HL come on in the dark.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so as everybody knows the sensor is on intergalactic back order. What I found does work is black electrical tape. Cut a piece about 1.5” long and place it right on the sensor. Works like a charm. DRL stay on in the sun and HL come on in the dark.
The thought crossed my mind but didn’t think it would work, I thought the headlights wouldn’t come on in the dark then. That’s a great temporary fix, nice work! I’ll report back on that other sensor p/n, if it doesn’t work I’ll be trying the “tape mod” too :)

sanman28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thought crossed my mind but didn’t think it would work, I thought the headlights wouldn’t come on in the dark then. That’s a great temporary fix, nice work! I’ll report back on that other sensor p/n, if it doesn’t work I’ll be trying the “tape mod” too :)
Yup….I’m doing to tape mod until 13545621 comes back in stock.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This headlight sensor issue has me wondering if it is the cause of all the vehicle holds at Midlothian...see other thread in general discussion...seems like vehicles produced around end of March, early April had this headlight issue...and that is when a bunch started going to Midlothian...wonder if the first batch got out to consumers, and then they caught it and held all the stuff built till they could get a new sensor...pure speculation...but, maybe possible?

SCiesie154

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2022 Yukon has the same light issue. I most likely will go with the black tape mod since it has worked on my VCR for years and my service engine soon warning light on my 2004 Silverado. (-:

sanman28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update on the black tape fix. U might need to fiddle with the placement and the amount you use to cover the sensor. But it definitely works on mine.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When searching I stumbled upon a lot of info in a corvette forum. Seems the C8 vets have P/N 13529378, older sensors with that p/n are good, newer ones aren't. Those guys are pulling serial numbers together to try to figure out a cutoff (props to them for the effort as some of them reference coming here when researching too). When going to dealers, before the shortage, the P/N 13545621 was being used to replace there's. Seems to me the two are likely backwards compatible so I'm going to try the older one from an ebay seller that seems to have old stock (at least the vet guys have had success with that seller but who knows what you'll get). Should have it in 4-5 days, I'll report back if it works as they seem to be more readily available, even though we could still get a bad one if not old enough inventory...
Replaced the original 13545621 with the 13529378 last night (that does appear to have an older serial #) and I had headlights off and DRL's on the entire ride in this morning in the sun. Headlights were on in the garage as well as testing by putting hand over sensor. Also put flashlight on sensor and headlights went off. Form, fit, function seem to be the same, pin configuration matched, so this does seem to be a viable option.

Note, for the swap, I started with taking the dash panel off with some trim tools and some of the clips were really tight as I got closer to the windshield. Could envision something cracking or breaking a clip. I aborted that, put some painters tape on the dash right next to the sensor and pried it up with a small flat head screw driver. Popped up easily once I got under it and plenty of slack in the wiring to comfortably pull it out a bit to unclip the connector.

Original on the left, replacement on the right.

Attachments

• sun sensors.jpg
    sun sensors.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 30
  • drls.jpg
    drls.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 31

sanman28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the original 13545621 with the 13529378 last night (that does appear to have an older serial #) and I had headlights off and DRL's on the entire ride in this morning in the sun. Headlights were on in the garage as well as testing by putting hand over sensor. Also put flashlight on sensor and headlights went off. Form, fit, function seem to be the same, pin configuration matched, so this does seem to be a viable option.

Note, for the swap, I started with taking the dash panel off with some trim tools and some of the clips were really tight as I got closer to the windshield. Could envision something cracking or breaking a clip. I aborted that, put some painters tape on the dash right next to the sensor and pried it up with a small flat head screw driver. Popped up easily once I got under it and plenty of slack in the wiring to comfortably pull it out a bit to unclip the connector.

Original on the left, replacement on the right.
Awesome find. I just ordered one that will be here next week. Love this forum. Hate that I have to screw with this stupid sensor, but great place for help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork