Question about installing shock with extenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
Im installing my new bilstein shocks i just got and i have a question.
My Tahoe has a ~3/5 drop. This came with the Tahoe when i bought it. It also has shock extenders. My Bilstein shocks are a bit shorter then the other shocks that were in there already. Should i take out the extenders? If i dont i will have to have the Bilstien shock a little more compressed. (in not sure if this better or worse)

attached is some photos to look at.

Thanks for the help
Derk

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 27
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 26
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
D

derk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a bit hard to see in the pic but this is with the old shock in place.
When i jack up my tahoe by the frame and the wheels are off the ground the old shock is fully extended from top bolt to the shock extender with no presure.

So when i install the new shock i will have to put pressure on the axle to lift it up so the bold hole line up with the shock extender hole.

So i just wondering is it better to:
1)Compress the coil spring (axle up) MORE and have the shock go into the shock extender

or

2) Compress the coil spring (axle up) A LITTLE and have the shock go into the oem shock mounts (remove extenders)

I know its better to have less of an angle for the shocks to move up and down but im wondering about haveing to compress the coil spring the extra bit(when axel is full extended.)

Also can anyone tell me if the old shock i had in the pic is the oem shock??

Thanks So much sorry for such a long post.

Derk

Attachments

• photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
D

derk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went a head a installed them with the shock extenders. I dont see why this will effect too much.

One other questions.
One the driver side, where the brake line crosses the shock, Do you run the brake line infront of the shock or behind the shock. I kept it the same as it was, which was behind the shock. It just seems wierd how it rubs on the shock rubber.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 26

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
my ebrake is routed the same way. The reason why the shock looked shorter is becuase the axle just needed to be raised to install onto the Shock. Am i right?

OP
OP
D

derk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my ebrake is routed the same way. The reason why the shock looked shorter is becuase the axle just needed to be raised to install onto the Shock. Am i right?

Ya. I tried changing them one at a time but found it is slot easier to do them both at the same time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darryl251