question about diving in 4wd on the highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I drove back from a ski trip in my 2023 Denali and forgot to remove it from 4wd when I got out of the snow. I wound up driving about 60 miles at 50-70 mph in 4wd back home. Is this bad for the rig? I know it is not ideal, but do I risk damage of any kind when this happens?

OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish the 4WD "on" indication on the dash were bigger. It certainly does not stand out. Can I make it pop up on the HUD?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I drove back from a ski trip in my 2023 Denali and forgot to remove it from 4wd when I got out of the snow. I wound up driving about 60 miles at 50-70 mph in 4wd back home. Is this bad for the rig? I know it is not ideal, but do I risk damage of any kind when this happens?
your fine, you would have noticed it was engaged had you made a turn off the highway when the wheels started to bind on a turn.
going straight or slight turn is fine. no harm no foul.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I drove back from a ski trip in my 2023 Denali and forgot to remove it from 4wd when I got out of the snow.
I wound up driving about 60 miles at 50-70 mph in 4wd back home. Is this bad for the rig?
I know it is not ideal, but do I risk damage of any kind when this happens?
Short answer:
Not ideal, probably added a little wear to your tires, and a little stress on front and rear diff, and CV joints.
If the road was mostly straight, probably a non issue.
Longer answer?
First you answer two questions:
4wd AUTO, or 4WD - High?
Auto 4WD would be better.
Assuming you went with 4Hi ...
you're fine, you'd've noticed it was engaged had you made a turn off the highway when the wheels started to bind on a turn.
going straight or slight turn is fine. no harm no foul.
You asked if you risked
DAMAGE
when this happens.
If it still works, you WORE it more than you should have, but did not damage it, per se.
If it does not work properly, well, there's your answer.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish the 4WD "on" indication on the dash were bigger. It certainly does not stand out. Can I make it pop up on the HUD?
No way to get drive mode on the hud, I don’t think. Depending on which dash config you choose, the drive mode indicator moves…but it’s still small…it would be ideal if it changed color when in 4WD, agree.

You know now, bet you don’t do again. Grandpa always said, “Good judgement comes from experience. Experience, comes from bad judgement.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan