Puddle lights don't work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Puddle lights don't work on my 2011 Tahoe. Some people said if you have an aftermarket alarm, they won't work. Any suggestions.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like they get power from the respective door modules (switches)...
which probably get the signal to turn on puddle lamps from BCM is my guess.
puddle.gif

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My driver's side puddle light stopped working. Both mirrors are aftermarket TYC assemblies that I got from RA. If you look at you tube, it showed the bulb replacement with one like you would have in a dome light assembly. I removed the puddle light housing and it is all sealed. To fix, I would have to get the correct assembly, likely from TYC and splice it in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Puddle lights don't work on my 2011 Tahoe. Some people said if you have an aftermarket alarm, they won't work. Any suggestions.
some things to note.... regarding puddle lights

1. you are correct in that thay "may" not work with a aftermarket alarm/fob
2. they should still work with a oem fob even if there is a alarm installed
3. they only work at night, so if testing in daylight you won't ever get them to work, cover the sun sensor in the center of the dash with a dark cloth if testing in the day light.
4. also check your vehicle settings to be sure approach lighting is enabled.
5. the bulb/led could be burned out either side or both.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a alarm on mine and they do not work with the alarm fob so I wired them to work with the interior lights which do work with the alarm fob.
now when I unlock the vehicle with the alarm fob the interior lights come on and the puddle lights.
and the underbody lights I added, which have subsenquently burned out and I need to replace this spring

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
i have a alarm on mine and they do not work with the alarm fob so I wired them to work with the interior lights which do work with the alarm fob.
now when I unlock the vehicle with the alarm fob the interior lights come on and the puddle lights.
and the underbody lights I added, which have subsenquently burned out and I need to replace this spring
I can't seem to find any stock replacements but can find LED lights. Are they a straight "splice the wires and go?"

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any stock replacements but can find LED lights. Are they a straight "splice the wires and go?"
The puddle lights are regular incandescent bulbs, I do not know the p/n, led's would be plug-n-play, no need to splice any wires
I can tell you that after some years the plastic clip/holder gets very brittle and will likely break as soon as you try to open it

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The mirrors are aftermarket TYC units. The OE mirrors had a changeable bulb. The aftermarket is a sealed housing that has 2 wires. You cannot open the housing to get to the bulb. I pulled the housing down with the intent of popping open, carefully, the housing for bulb access and replacement and then found a sealed housing. I sent a message to TYC and am awaiting their answer. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz