Program Replacement Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjones12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, new here and I searched the existing threads but they don't seem to answer my question.

'22 Tahoe Z71, lost the 2nd key fob, bought a blank and need it to be programmed. 2 locksmiths have said it can't be done, something about the program being encrypted. I really don't want to pay a dealer $300 if I don't have to.

I did see in another thread, that if the 2nd fob needs to be programmed, that the first fob needs to be "wiped" and they both need to be programmed together. Does that apply here? I can't imagine that with so many '22 Yukon/Tahoe's out there that nobody has needed a 2nd key fob thus far in all of Denver.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer only at this time, I believe. This is actually a good thing...hope you can take it to your selling dealer and they will do it for a reasonable charge.

OP
OP
kjones12

kjones12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for your reply...unfortunately I bought it in FL in Oct and doing some cross country travel, no plans to go back to FL. Dealer is...very expensive :-/

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to bring it back to the selling dealer. The selling dealer would possibly do it for you at a reduced rate as a friendly gesture, but any GM dealership will be able to program a FOB to your vehicle.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for your reply...unfortunately I bought it in FL in Oct and doing some cross country travel, no plans to go back to FL. Dealer is...very expensive :-/
Well, hope you are in a bit more firendly locale...if you are in upper midwest anywhere; find a small town local Chevy dealer (aim for a town about 10k people), and stop in there...they will do it for something reasonable...guaranteed. Sould be less than an hour labor

OP
OP
kjones12

kjones12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks all. I'm in Denver, the quote I received was over $300. brutal

chevymopar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
lost a key for 2019 honda pilot summer 2021 and it cost $350 then and that was before inflation. $300 today is a good deal or at least the going rate

Bkihum

Reaction score
Hey all, new here and I searched the existing threads but they don't seem to answer my question.

'22 Tahoe Z71, lost the 2nd key fob, bought a blank and need it to be programmed. 2 locksmiths have said it can't be done, something about the program being encrypted. I really don't want to pay a dealer $300 if I don't have to.

I did see in another thread, that if the 2nd fob needs to be programmed, that the first fob needs to be "wiped" and they both need to be programmed together. Does that apply here? I can't imagine that with so many '22 Yukon/Tahoe's out there that nobody has needed a 2nd key fob thus far in all of Denver.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!
I had a fob replaced on 22 Yukon and the did have to wipe both, when they were done everything matched up.

OP
OP
kjones12

kjones12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a fob replaced on 22 Yukon and the did have to wipe both, when they were done everything matched up.
ooh interesting. 2nd locksmith came out today and tried, he couldn't do it but was concerned about wiping the first good key. did you have a locksmith do it @Bkihum or dealer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues