PPV Tow/Haul setting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stratos934

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is a dead horse and has been beaten by everyone here before. But I can't seem to locate a specific answer. I have found all the install and how to threads, which are all very informative by the way so thanks to all the guys that contributed to them. But one thing I cannot find a definitive answer on is the actual tow/haul setting for the transmission. Has anyone messed with the tuning and added an aftermarket tow/haul setting to their transmission? I haven't had the time to go into my laptop and see if I can copy a tow/haul file from let's say a civilian LT with a factory towing package and flash it to my Tahoe. Just curious if anyone here has done this, heard of it being done, or know someone who might? I know the tow/haul mode on most civilian trucks and SUVs raise the shift points and line pressures, but would simply copying that file over to a PPV and wiring in some kind of switch work? Don't feel like burning up my 4L60E in the Texas heat while pulling a 21' boat along the highway.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your shifter doesn't have the tow/haul button? Some features are activated by just plugging in the right parts; like the DIC switches.

OP
OP
stratos934

stratos934

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your shifter doesn't have the tow/haul button? Some features are activated by just plugging in the right parts; like the DIC switches.
Nope, no tow haul button on my shifter. I guess it would be worth a shot, my shifter does have a little more play than I would like it to have so I guess an upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea.

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe most PPV tahoes do not have the tow package / tow hitch from the factory unless optioned in. The switch / stalk itself you can buy and wire in but you will need to have the BCM flashed for how / haul (shift line pressures are increased as well as higher revs in each gear). I am not aware of any aftermarket tunes just for towing, but there are lots of tuners (diablosport, blackbear etc) that will tune the trans for different shift line pressures.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I might be a little rude here today, perhaps it may be the beer, but PPV's from the factory are not set up to Tow, they are strictly pursuit vehicles . They can be modified but you need a different shifter and a flash of the computer.
The tow/haul mode is a great feature I use mine on my SSV and when I tow a trailer when slowing down and hitting the brakes just right the vehicle downshifts by itself. If it don't have it and you want it buy it new. just my 2 cents

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be a little rude here today, perhaps it may be the beer, but PPV's from the factory are not set up to Tow, they are strictly pursuit vehicles . They can be modified but you need a different shifter and a flash of the computer.
The tow/haul mode is a great feature I use mine on my SSV and when I tow a trailer when slowing down and hitting the brakes just right the vehicle downshifts by itself. If it don't have it and you want it buy it new. just my 2 cents

I'm surprised the programming for Tow/Haul does not already exist. Poking around the shop manual it seems everything is controlled through the BCM and not the TCM.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Only the six speed transmissions come with the +- button on the shifter, from what I understand this is on 2009+

dmad1

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I think you may be better off without the tow haul mode. A transmission guy told me that myTahoe (mine was a '12) had small tranny lines and didn't push enough fluid when towing. He said you should keep the rpms at or above 2000 and use 5 gear or lower if needed on my 6 speed tranny. That ended up being a lot easier said than done. I had to run above 65/70 mph to be at 2000 rpm while pulling my camper. I did as he said and never lost the tranny and had over 100k on it. Hoping the '17 will do the same.