PPV Tow/Haul setting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything can be done. My 99 with 4L60E had no tow/haul. I upgraded to a 0411 pcm from a Chevy express van and added a momentary ground push button switch to the appropriate wire on the pcm. I have no indicator light but tow haul works. I even modified it in EFI Live to lock up the TC in second at over a certain speed along with other shift points, etc in the tow haul trans section of the tune file.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe most PPV tahoes do not have the tow package / tow hitch from the factory unless optioned in. The switch / stalk itself you can buy and wire in but you will need to have the BCM flashed for how / haul (shift line pressures are increased as well as higher revs in each gear). I am not aware of any aftermarket tunes just for towing, but there are lots of tuners (diablosport, blackbear etc) that will tune the trans for different shift line pressures.

Our '10 PPV came with the factory receiver but no Tow/Haul button on the shifter. That might be something to have a look at, though, not that we tow with it. The upshift/downshift buttons (+/-) on the stalk works fine, though, especially when autocrossing. :anitoof:

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

don't know if this thread is 'done' but thinking of getting a new trailer for towing my Jeep. My SSV has a switch between the steering column and door, that seems to be for towing and also has the trailer switch/symbols on the shifter.

So is my SSV set up for towing a trailer with electrical brakes? and if so, how does the "trailer stuff" work on an SSV?

thanks,

Ron

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

don't know if this thread is 'done' but thinking of getting a new trailer for towing my Jeep. My SSV has a switch between the steering column and door, that seems to be for towing and also has the trailer switch/symbols on the shifter.

So is my SSV set up for towing a trailer with electrical brakes? and if so, how does the "trailer stuff" work on an SSV?

thanks,

Ron

You mean a switch on the knee bolster below the dial for the lights? I would check your RPO sheet for JL1 and even then make sure it is connected. It has it's own module and if someone added it, had to have it programmed in the BCM.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean a switch on the knee bolster below the dial for the lights? I would check your RPO sheet for JL1 and even then make sure it is connected. It has it's own module and if someone added it, had to have it programmed in the BCM.

Yes that one, near the knee bolster below the lights.

This is what my RPO sticker says.

JL1: CONTROL,INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE
VR4: TRAILER HITCH(WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM)
Z82: TRAILERING PACKAGE(SPECIAL)(REESE TYPE HITCH)

I doubt it was added later, also the DIC shown some things like "trailer gain" etc.

thanks,

Ron

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that one, near the knee bolster below the lights.

This is what my RPO sticker says.

JL1: CONTROL,INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE
VR4: TRAILER HITCH(WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM)
Z82: TRAILERING PACKAGE(SPECIAL)(REESE TYPE HITCH)

I doubt it was added later, also the DIC shown some things like "trailer gain" etc.

thanks,

Ron

You're right, all the goodies are there from the factory! Pretty cool. If you want to provide hotel power to the trailer, there is a coiled wire under your master cylinder that needs to be hooked up still to the fuse box. Otherwise it will hook up as normal and power the brakes. You can download the instructions for that in the 2013 C/K Upfitter's Guide.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right, all the goodies are there from the factory! Pretty cool. If you want to provide hotel power to the trailer, there is a coiled wire under your master cylinder that needs to be hooked up still to the fuse box. Otherwise it will hook up as normal and power the brakes. You can download the instructions for that in the 2013 C/K Upfitter's Guide.

I have no idea what hotel power is. (is that for lights in covered trailer or so?)

I just want to use electric brakes, and of course brake lights etc. so that should all be working, factory.

Ron

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what hotel power is. (is that for lights in covered trailer or so?)

I just want to use electric brakes, and of course brake lights etc. so that should all be working, factory.

Ron

Sorry, nautical term. Hotel power is powering the interior lights, fridge, tvs and such in the trailer. You wouldn't directly power them but recharge the trailer's battery while driving in certain conditions with that additional wire hooked up. Nice to have feature. Works a little different if you have the 2nd battery wired up in the Tahoe too. Or should I say, it can work a little differently if you choose to. It's all in the Upfitter's Guide.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if there is a trailer battery and you hook up the ‘hotel’ wire make sure you start run the hoe or disconnect the trailer plug from the tahoe when your parked at your final destination...it will drain your trailer battery AND the tahoe battery. That wire not only charges the trailer battery as you run the tahoe but also will drain it and the tahoe battery if the truck is not running.

Last edited:

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, nautical term. Hotel power is powering the interior lights, fridge, tvs and such in the trailer. You wouldn't directly power them but recharge the trailer's battery while driving in certain conditions with that additional wire hooked up. Nice to have feature. Works a little different if you have the 2nd battery wired up in the Tahoe too. Or should I say, it can work a little differently if you choose to. It's all in the Upfitter's Guide.

Ah, I kind of figured that, for running lights etc in the trailer. I am going to start using the Tahoe to pull a fairly good size trailer, to tow my 79 CJ5 around with. (looking at an 18ft dual axle trailer with brakes). So I don't really need a dual battery setup. Also, the Jeep has a dual battery setup, more abou that later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz