PPV Tow/Haul setting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

I'll check it out. I ordered the trailer, I have some custom things, so it will be a few weeks before I can pick it up.

Yes it is a flatbed, and except for the "emergency break away switches" there isn't anything (yet). The only thing I want to add is a battery for a small winch (wonder if I need to put in a charger, or is the hot wire already is
coming from some sort of "charger"?

I might just have the trailer place check if the wiring is working as supposed to.

thanks,

Ron

The "hotel" wire under the hood would connect the battery/alternator of the truck to the battery on the trailer to help keep it charged.

I say help because the wire gauge and length affect how much amperage you will get to the trailer batteries.

It will definitely maintain a battery but would struggle to recharge a depleted battery... it would take an extremely long drive to even think about it.

Last edited:

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "hotel" wire under the hood would connect the battery/alternator of the truck to the battery on the trailer to help keep it charged.

I say help because the wire gauge and length affect how much amperage you will get to the trailer batteries.

It will definitely maintain a battery but would struggle to recharge a depleted battery... it would take an extremely long drive to even think about it.

I am going on a road trip to the Dallas-area, TX in a few weeks... I'll think about it ;)

Ron

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I found some videos about how to set the trailer braking in the Tahoe.

The gear shifter has the button on top that shifts into tow/haul mode. what do the + and - buttons on the shifter do?

thanks,

Ron
Tow/haul mode keeps the transmission in check so to speak, when you slow down it doesn’t downshift as much and changes the trans tune so to speak. It also turns off rvc (regulated voltage control) on the alternator so you have more of a steady charge to the battery/ red wire you hooked up on your fuse box, it should really only be used when you haul larger loads... not a 5x10 utility trailer with a 2x4 from home depot...the +/- is for manually shifting trans. Drop it into M, or last position on your gear selector, and you can roll thru the gears or leave it in 5 if you have a six speed or 3 if a 4 speed.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow/haul mode keeps the transmission in check so to speak, when you slow down it doesn’t downshift as much and changes the trans tune so to speak. It also turns off rvc (regulated voltage control) on the alternator so you have more of a steady charge to the battery/ red wire you hooked up on your fuse box, it should really only be used when you haul larger loads... not a 5x10 utility trailer with a 2x4 from home depot...the +/- is for manually shifting trans. Drop it into M, or last position on your gear selector, and you can roll thru the gears or leave it in 5 if you have a six speed or 3 if a 4 speed.

Ah, cool... well I do have a 5x10, but running to Lowes.. there's no Home Depot here. J/K ;) I am trading it in for an dual axle 82"x18', steel deck, to haul my CJ around, that's why I wanted to figure the towing out.

Ron

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All what ken and james said plus look here ron, explains it all. Grab red wire under master. You can hook up your trailer and drive and all lights will work but if you want that 12v charge wire you need to hook up 1 wire under master cylinder... disregard coiled fender wire as you have the factory integrated brake controller already....happy trailering..;)
https://www.tahoeyukon forum.com/threads/battery-charge-wire-and-brake-control-wire-2012-yukon.99690/page-2

Hi Pete,

I'll check all that out, and see what's going on, once I pick up the new trailer. Would be nice if it would charge a battery, doesn't have to be 'fast' as long as it does it.

thanks,

Ron

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting, how can you tell "Grade Breaking mode" is on? does the DIC say it is?

Ron
Actually since @gpracer1 mentioned that i tried on my way home today and yes the dic tells all..... lol pres and hold tow/hail for a few seconds and in yhe dash it’ll say grade braking enabled or push and hold again and it disables.... i think default is enabled... pretty cool, learn something new everyday.... thanks @gpracer1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE