PPV Tow/Haul setting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if there is a trailer battery and you hook up the ‘hotel’ wire make sure you start run the hoe or disconnect the trailer plug from the tahoe when your parked at your final destination...it will drain your trailer battery AND the tahoe battery. That wire not only charges the trailer battery as you run the tahoe but also will drain it and the tahoe battery if the truck is not running.

I wasn't planning on that, I am planning to tow a good size trailer (18ft, dual axle) for towing my 79 CJ5. That CJ has a dual battery setup with a battery separator. I have a red optima for everything Jeep, and a yellow top for the winch. The winch can drain the yellow top, without really affecting the red top, but they still get charged both by the alternator. I am pretty sure the same setup can be used for the Tahoe itself, if I wanted to, but not planning on it. I do have one of these electrical coolers in 'da Hoe', that I have to be careful with and not forget to unplug it, because it will drain a battery overnight. Maybe, a very slight chance, I might do a dual setup with a separator for running that cooler (it would have to be on a separated circuit for just the cooler though).

Ron

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I kind of figured that, for running lights etc in the trailer. I am going to start using the Tahoe to pull a fairly good size trailer, to tow my 79 CJ5 around with. (looking at an 18ft dual axle trailer with brakes). So I don't really need a dual battery setup. Also, the Jeep has a dual battery setup, more abou that later.

You should be good to go as is then. Friends of ours have CJ5s, lots of fun. I miss my uncle's '81 CJ8, had a lot of fun with that.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be good to go as is then. Friends of ours have CJ5s, lots of fun. I miss my uncle's '81 CJ8, had a lot of fun with that.

Yes they are fun, teaches you how to use tools too. Everyone should have a vehicle that doesn't run half the time, or needs something fixed. They are fun money pits.

Ron

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they are fun, teaches you how to use tools too. Everyone should have a vehicle that doesn't run half the time, or needs something fixed. They are fun money pits.

Ron

My first car Ron was a turbocharged '79 Buick Regal. I'd drive it for an hour and work on it for four! Not all that different than the old F-4 Phantom! That car and a good mentor taught me to work on cars, how to race and how to go fast.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first car Ron was a turbocharged '79 Buick Regal. I'd drive it for an hour and work on it for four! Not all that different than the old F-4 Phantom! That car and a good mentor taught me to work on cars, how to race and how to go fast.

Yeah that CJ is the first car I started working on.. *lol* when I came to the US. I had a friend that was a mechanic. I still have the thing and pretty much replaced everything.

Ron

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I found some videos about how to set the trailer braking in the Tahoe.

The gear shifter has the button on top that shifts into tow/haul mode. what do the + and - buttons on the shifter do?

thanks,

Ron

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right, all the goodies are there from the factory! Pretty cool. If you want to provide hotel power to the trailer, there is a coiled wire under your master cylinder that needs to be hooked up still to the fuse box. Otherwise it will hook up as normal and power the brakes. You can download the instructions for that in the 2013 C/K Upfitter's Guide.

It looks like I might need to hook that "hotel wire" up after all. There seems to be a backup battery on the trailer that engages the brakes, in case it gets detached from the hitch. Also, I probably am going to mount a battery and a small winch on it, to pull vehicles on it.

The wire is under the the master cylinder? and where exactly does it hook up?

thanks,

Ron

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like I might need to hook that "hotel wire" up after all. There seems to be a backup battery on the trailer that engages the brakes, in case it gets detached from the hitch. Also, I probably am going to mount a battery and a small winch on it, to pull vehicles on it.

The wire is under the the master cylinder? and where exactly does it hook up?

thanks,

Ron

It connects to one of the two posts on the front of the underhood fuse box. The right post, the one closest to the fender is the one you'll use. Need an M6 nut to tighten it down. There's an option for a 40-Amp fuse but I'm drawing a blank right now as to why. Also, there's a warning about draining the main battery. Boy, my brain is fried tonight. Get that Upfitter's Guide and talk to these guys: @Galante @kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
There should be 2 wires to connect to the 2 studs on the front of the fuse box... unless having the built in brake controller, maybe they already have one connected.

1 would be under the master cylinder and the other 1 would be between the underhood fuse box and the drivers fender.

They have different sized lugs that fit the different sized studs on the front of the fuse box.

1 is a charge wire (hotel wire) for keeping the emergency break away switches battery (on the trailer) charged.

The other is for providing power to the blunt cut wires under the drivers side of the dash. This is the one that may already be hooked up since yours has the built in controller.

As far as disconnecting it while parked or overnight... I wouldn't worry about it unless you were running a bunch of lights or something inside the trailer... BUT it sounds like you are talking about a flat bed so I wouldn't stress about it. The same charge wire could be used to keep your winch battery charged while driving.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be 2 wires to connect to the 2 studs on the front of the fuse box... unless having the built in brake controller, maybe they already have one connected.

1 would be under the master cylinder and the other 1 would be between the underhood fuse box and the drivers fender.

They have different sized lugs that fit the different sized studs on the front of the fuse box.

1 is a charge wire (hotel wire) for keeping the emergency break away switches battery (on the trailer) charged.

The other is for providing power to the blunt cut wires under the drivers side of the dash. This is the one that may already be hooked up since yours has the built in controller.

As far as disconnecting it while parked or overnight... I wouldn't worry about it unless you were running a bunch of lights or something inside the trailer... BUT it sounds like you are talking about a flat bed so I wouldn't stress about it. The same charge wire could be used to keep your winch battery charged while driving.

Hi Ken,

I'll check it out. I ordered the trailer, I have some custom things, so it will be a few weeks before I can pick it up.

Yes it is a flatbed, and except for the "emergency break away switches" there isn't anything (yet). The only thing I want to add is a battery for a small winch (wonder if I need to put in a charger, or is the hot wire already is
coming from some sort of "charger"?

I might just have the trailer place check if the wiring is working as supposed to.

thanks,

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman