Power steering failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was driving home today and all of a sudden I hear a real loud whining noise that coincides with how much throttle I give the hoe, as well as nasty noises when I turn the wheel. Get home, pop the hood and there is fluid everywhere inside the bay, check power steering fluid level and it is bone dry.

Is this a leak in the line, bad gasket, or is the pump shot and I need a new one? How difficult is this to replace, and can I do any more damage by driving it without power steering? I know it is harder to turn...

Thanks.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would put some fluid in the tank and start it, see where its coming from and if the pump is still screaming at you. pump could be shot since it ran without fluid.

oldsalt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. Fill it and see where it's leaking.
I would replace the pump since it was run dry.
You will need a special tool to remove and replace the pulley. Make sure you have it lined up properly with the other pulleys.

Oh, and while your pump is out I would install the GM update that eliminates the steering sensor. It's a small "U" shaped pipe.

Last edited:

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pump is more than likely shot because it was run dry. But I would fill it up and run it to see if you can find where the fluid is coming from. My bet is on a hose somewhere where it passes by a framerail or other moving or non-moving part.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
After all fixed have your compartment steamed and/or shampood. That fluid deteriorates rubber like components alone at an accelerated rate.

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I get the bay cleaned like that?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
car wash businesses or mobile ones for steaming or grab a hose and some engine shampoo from a parts store just seal up your intake system before hand or you wil get a quick lesson in hydraulics when you start it to finish drying.:)

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some GUNK engine cleaner and go to town, then shampoo, then fire it up to dry it all off. Your engine will prolly come out cleaner than before this happened:waytogo:

oldsalt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use ZEP orange cleaner. The consumer version is sold at home depot. Full strength with a cheap garden sprayer, let it sit a while then hose or pressure wash it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n