Power Slot Rotors / Hawk Pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTLux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need help on which Hawk pads to get. I dont do any towing and have an 07 Tahoe. I was thinking the PC but it looks like more have LTS.

Anyone who has Hawk PC pads, what do you think?

pjwood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That story is both good and bad. Great that the brakes helped save your wife from an incident but bad that they were used that hard right away. I hope you don't have problems with them from that...bedding in is crucial and even if you follow manufacturer recommendations, it's really easy to cook them if you aren't light on them the first 300 miles or so. Heavy erratic stops can ruin a brand new set up. I've learned this the hard way a few times. I screwed up my brakes on their 2nd day once... emergency stop and they were done. Started squealing and pulsating soon after. Had to change the pads out after 2 weeks.

Not exactly. I've heard pads can "glaze over", from too much heat, but it has never happened to me. Bedding is done to establish a surface to surface relationship between the entire pad and the rotor. I would never change both rotors and pads at the same time, unless I had to (check thickness spec/grooving/etc). In order to bed pads in to new, or used, rotors you are supposed to go fast, and brake hard. By going from an elevated speed, to say 40mph quickly, you are clamping on the brakes hard enough to establish this relationship. Doing a similar effort from 40mph to zero, would lock the brakes or engage the ABS. This is one of the reasons bedding proceedures are specific.

..gonna try the Hawks. I've been through too many sets of cheap pads, that requre one to stand on them, and eventually allow most of the rotor surface to rust, to do the $15 option one more time. Besides, I like replacing stuff!

Thanks, guys

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update for what it's worth.

Had the Hawks on my truck for four months and they started squeeking something crazy.
Tried to brake them in the right way so I don't think it's that.
Never seen brake pads go away so fast.

New oem pads are back on.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Guys, I used to do some amateur road racing and was a high performance in car driving instructor. As a result, I became obsessed with braking components. I ran a Corvette with 6 piston Wilwood calipers and two piece rotors in the front and heavily modified "stock" components in the rear. I eventually ran NOTHING but Performance Friction pads. I learned the hard way, chomping up expensive rotors and pads, including the brand most mentioned in this thread. Often at the beginning of the very first day, guys would tell me that they had just installed new Hawk pads (various compounds) and new rotors. I hated to burst their bubble right off the bat, but I told them that their rotors would be shot after the first day. They were incredulous...didn't believe me. Later that weekend they would seek me out to ask me how I knew. It was purely based on experience and observations over a broad course of time.
So here are my thoughts and comments: if you are simply trying to maximize your otherwise stock brake componets, I would recommend Performance Friction Z rated pads. They have a little more bite upon initial application, and really whoa you down when they get a bit hotter. They will last longer than stock, and will NOT chew up your rotors. PFC also makes a "Highway" pad that will work better than OE, but not quite as good as the "Z" pad when hot. Both are MUCH cheaper than OE pads, and more effective. I just replaced the like new fronts on my LTZ because I wanted better brake performance and paid $54 online for the "Z" pads. I forgot just how good these things were!
Now here's the trick if you want these pads and your rotors to last dang near forever...you MUST bed them in properly. Even though with the "Z" compound it's not required. Here's how I do it: After install, that night I drive it to an empty industrial park and make about 4-5 runs from about 50 mph down to virtually zero. (DO NOT KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AFTER "STOPPING" OR YOU WILL WARP YOUR ROTORS!) After this series of runs, I take a ride in the country for about 10-15 minutes where I don't need to brake, to let everything cool down. That's it. During that process, it will become very clear that instead of fading, those pads really get more effective. I hope you can benefit by this experience and very cost effective upgrade.