Power Lift Gate won't open all the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rschafe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2014 chevy Tahoe LT power lift gate will open half way and it will start to close immediately. I heard that the problem may be the struts and I replaced them and still have the same problem. Could it be a bad sensor thinking there is an obstruction or something else?

Any help would be great!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a POS 2009 Denali I bought from TX and it had all kinds of issues. One of which was the rear gate. I tried struts, then the latch, and finally the motor assembly. It all worked after that, but what a PITA.

Try listening for the 'motor closing sound' when you close the gate as it pulls it shut. Doss it make noise and lock, or do you have to slam it to close it?

Try HELPING it up and see if it still gives up. If it tries closing with assistance, then it's not a weight issue.

I remember I went round and round with that thing and finally landed on replacing the lift motor and that was the solution.

Best of luck

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a POS 2009 Denali I bought from TX and it had all kinds of issues. One of which was the rear gate. I tried struts, then the latch, and finally the motor assembly. It all worked after that, but what a PITA.

Try listening for the 'motor closing sound' when you close the gate as it pulls it shut. Doss it make noise and lock, or do you have to slam it to close it?

Try HELPING it up and see if it still gives up. If it tries closing with assistance, then it's not a weight issue.

I remember I went round and round with that thing and finally landed on replacing the lift motor and that was the solution.

Best of luck
I had the same issue in my '07 and it ended up being the latch mechanism. It was counterintuitive to me but that's what it was...