Possible to replace wheel studs without taking off calipers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the type you saw?

I have this one and was going to use it to install the new lug studs, which are slightly longer to accommodate the 10mm spacers I’d like to install.

I don’t want wheel adapters, which seem like they have more fail points than slightly longer studs and spacers.

View attachment 392134View attachment 392133View attachment 392132
Yeah. Something like that, if not the same one... Since it is cone-shaped to match the taper of the lug nut, it seems like that would do a decent job at drawing the stud in straight without damage. Can't say for certain. I have never used one. But looks like it might be a reasonable option to me.

Seems better than trying with a lug nut alone to pull it in.
If I tried that tool, I might be inclined to put some axle grease between the cone-shapes surface of the tool and lug nut to eliminate any additional friction as the lug nut spins. Of course I would want to wash the studs and lug nuts down real good with Brake Kleen to get all grease off the studs and threads.

03yukXL

Reaction score
At least for the rear it can be easier just to buy a new axle. I have seen them for 40-50 dollars and they come with new studs installed. Do a rear end service, pull the c clips, pull the axles. Replace the axle seals while you’re in there.

Edit: ouch I guess I was thinking pre inflation prices. Axles now are looking like 100 bucks a side…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n